XLNC 19'2" Fast Low-Powered Flat-Bottom Skiff

  • michaelparkeroysterville
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 18, 2006
      Has anyone built this in-board powered skiff? What engine was used?
      Has anyone had experience with air-cooled inboard engines installed in
      any of the Atkin skiffs?
      In Alaska, hand-trolling in 16'-20' skiffs ("puddle jumpers") powered
      with 8hp - 20 hp Briggs & Stratton engines was a cheap way to get into
      commercial fishing. Engines were connected to the propeller shaft with
      pullys and belts. There were no gearboxes. Reverse direction was with
      a oar.
      SIMPLICITY!
      Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 19, 2006
        There's a photo of a gussied up XLNC in the photos section of the Atkin
        pages. It did 11.5 mph. with a five horse engine:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/XLNC/

        An aircooled engine would be fine in an XLNC. She's an inexpensive boat to
        build, which matches the inexpensive powerplant, and a light engine would
        be good for her performance. Reverse is awfully nice though, expecially if
        you're doing much docking.

        Aircooled engines have been used in many small boats over the years. Here
        on the West Coast the most famous example is probably the Poulsbo Boat on
        Puget Sound. They usually, if not always, had a reverse gear. I recently
        picked up a 4.6 hp. Wisconsin with a Twin Cone reduction and reverse gear
        made in Seattle:

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/04/BoatFest-5.html

        A little further north small lapstrake boats were quite common in British
        Columbia. I had one for a while, though it didn't have an air-cooled
        engine when I got it. A friend of mine is now renovating it. Here's one I
        saw not long ago at Nanaimo:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/1391410/

        George Calkins of Bartender fame built a fleet of skiffs powered by
        air-cooled (B&S IIRC) engines for use as rental boats on Devils Lake at
        Lincoln City, Oregon when his shop was there. They had no reverse.

        And there were the hand trollers you mention, and no doubt many more
        examples I don't yet know about.

        B&S, Wisconsin and Reo made marine versions of their engines. So don't let
        the naysayers sway you! Every time somebody mentions on the 'net forums
        that they want to try using a "lawnmower engine" in a boat they get
        savaged by a crowd of know-it-alls telling them they'll blow themselves
        up, the Coast Guard will throw them in jail, or the engine won't last a
        season. If you don't enclose the engine the Coast Guard won't get you. A
        remote tank is a Real Good idea, and the engines will last a long time --
        and when they die they're cheap to replace.

        The cheapest engines are the vertical shaft ones that come on lawnmowers.
        The cheapest way to get one is to buy a lawnmower on sale, it's cheaper
        than buying an engine by itself! I've often puzzled over how to use on of
        them in a boat and get a reverse too. Even in my wildest dreams I didn't
        think of mounting the whole power deck from a riding lawnmower in a boat!

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/02/Brenda-1.jpg

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/02/Brenda-2.jpg

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/04/BrendaSue-05A.jpg

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/04/BrendaSue-06A.jpg

        http://www.boat-links.com/DepoeBay/03/BrendaSue-1.jpg

        On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 07:56:54 -0800, michael parker wrote:

        > Has anyone built this in-board powered skiff? What engine was used?
        > Has anyone had experience with air-cooled inboard engines installed in
        > any of the Atkin skiffs?
        > In Alaska, hand-trolling in 16'-20' skiffs ("puddle jumpers") powered
        > with 8hp - 20 hp Briggs & Stratton engines was a cheap way to get into
        > commercial fishing. Engines were connected to the propeller shaft with
        > pullys and belts. There were no gearboxes. Reverse direction was with
        > a oar.
        > SIMPLICITY!
        > Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

        "Necessity is the mother of invention" is a silly proverb.
        "Necessity is the mother of futile dodges" is much nearer the
        truth. <Alfred North Whitehead>