Atkin Boat Builders Article

  • John Cupp
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
      Hello Fellow Atkin Members,

      I write for a few boat building magazines and I am doing an article
      about the Atkin boat plans. If anyone is now building an Atkin boat
      and would like to provide pictures of the building I would be very
      appreciative. Please send a few words about the pictures and what
      boat you are building. I will need your names so I can give you
      photo credit. You can send these via email to (boatdock@...)
      or boatdock at kfalls dot net ( just incase it does not list email
      addresses).

      It is necessary to put pictures of boats under construction or
      completed boats and pictures of them being built. I want to stir
      the interest of boat builders who read the magazines I write for in
      the Atkin designs. Nothing is better to peak interest in a design
      than showing pictures of a boat in the construction stages or a
      completed boat. There are so many great designs that are in the
      catalog. I first knew that the Atkin plans were still available
      when I saw an article about the Rescue Minor. To that point I
      thought that the Atkin designs had been lost, I was certainly
      surprised to find out the truth about the designs and I wish to
      share this with my readers. Please, any help will be certainly
      appreciated from myself and my readers. It does not matter what
      size boat you are building as long as it is being built exactly to
      the plan specifications. If it has been changed from the original
      plans I regret I will not place it in the article.

      Thank you so much ahead of time for any and all assistance you can
      give.

      Sincerely,

      John

      PS if you can not send them by email please send them by snail mail
      and Please give me a return address to send them back. Thank You
      again.

      John Cupp
      24335 Modoc Point Road
      Chiloquin, Oregon 97624
      (541)783-7807
    • Frank Durant
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
        Hello there. I have just ordered a set of plans for both 'perigee' and 'joan' to compare. Both heavy little,offshore capable, full keel cruising sailboats. If in your process of collecting info...I would truly apprec. any pics and finding on either of these 2 boats to help me decide which one to build. Good luck and thanks Frank Durant fdurant@... I would be happy to pay for your findings.
[...]

        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

      • lynx coin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
          Hello John
          I have a tally -ho major that is allready built.I do not have any plans or pics of the construction though.I would be morre than happy to send you pics if it would help you any.I am attepting to locate any other tally-ho owners to ask about set up and sailing tips etc etc.I only have the mainsail and need dimensions for jib and stays'l ,plus I am trying to figure out this really long spar that I have that I assume is for a genoa /"gollywobler"?Let me know.
          I have been in contact with Pat atkin and she is alot of help.I just have not been able to locate another of the same design.
          Lynx Coin

          Frank Durant <fdurant@...> wrote:
[...]

          Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

          ---------------------------------

          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
            Frank-

            Mrs. Atkin was able to find one photo of a Perigee, it's now in the photos
            section of the Atkin web pages:

            http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/Perigee/

            I'll work on her to get her to look for photos of Joan.

            On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:44:25 -0800, Frank Durant wrote:

            > Hello there. I have just ordered a set of plans for both 'perigee' and
            > 'joan' to compare. Both heavy little,offshore capable, full keel
            > cruising sailboats. If in your process of collecting info...I would
            > truly apprec. any pics and finding on either of these 2 boats to help me
            > decide which one to build.

            Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes. <Henry David
            Thoreau>
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
              Good luck with the article John. If I can help you in any way, let me
              know. I hope you'll share the photos you get with me so I can put them
              into the Photos section of the Atkin Web pages. Those of you out there
              with digitized photos of Atkin boats can just email them to both of us
              Johns. I'll wait to publish the photos until after the article runs, if
              you prefer that John. Those sending photos intended for the article should
              tell me so I don't jump the gun.

              On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:22:13 -0800, John Cupp wrote:

              > I write for a few boat building magazines and I am doing an article
              > about the Atkin boat plans. If anyone is now building an Atkin boat
              > and would like to provide pictures of the building I would be very
              > appreciative. Please send a few words about the pictures and what
              > boat you are building. I will need your names so I can give you
              > photo credit. You can send these via email to (boatdock@...)
              > or boatdock at kfalls dot net ( just incase it does not list email
              > addresses).

              The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates
              are too old to go to work. <Henry Ford>
            • JohnyM7@excite.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 13, 2006
                Hi Frank, You have good taste in designs. Perigee and Lady Joan were the two designs I was looking at when I joined the group. I settled on Lady Joan just before a serious back injury put an end to my boat building ambitions. I believe in the adage that one buys a cruising boat by the pound, not by the foot. The ballast requirements of both boats appear to be identical, so I doubt there is more than a few hundred pounds difference in their displacements. I must confess that I have a weakness for double enders in general and canoe yawls in particular. Lady Joan is the loveliest canoe yawl I have ever seen, including Herreshoff's Rozinante. With her hearly symmetric narrow hull, her well ballanced sail plan, and her beautiful stable-but-sleek underbody, I can envision her gliding accross the water in light air, slicing easily through a chop, and handling heavy weather off-shore without much fuss at all. I believe that she could easily be managed without an engine,
                saving some precious cruising dollars. I also like the ability to sleep two. A boat is more than a mere conveyance; it is also a dream. I can't expect you to have the same dream as mine and I wish you the best of luck with whichever design you choose. I just couldn't resist adding my two cents worth. The most important thing is to make a choice and get to work on it. Lynn and Larry Pardee once said "Go small, go simple, go now." Amen. Good luck in your sailing adventures. JohnM--- On Fri 01/13, Frank Durant < fdurant@... > wrote:From: Frank Durant [mailto: fdurant@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 11:44:25 -0500Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Atkin Boat Builders ArticleHello there. I have just ordered a set of plans for both 'perigee' and 'joan' to compare. Both heavy little,offshore capable, full keel cruising sailboats. If in your process of collecting info...I would truly apprec. any pics and finding on either of these 2 boats
                to help me decide which one to build. Good luck and thanks Frank Durant fdurant@... I would be happy to pay for your findings. ----- Original Message ----- From: John Cupp To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com Sent: Friday, January 13, 2006 3:22 AM Subject: [AtkinBoats] Atkin Boat Builders Article Hello Fellow Atkin Members, I write for a few boat building magazines and I am doing an article about the Atkin boat plans. If anyone is now building an Atkin boat and would like to provide pictures of the building I would be very appreciative. Please send a few words about the pictures and what boat you are building. I will need your names so I can give you photo credit. You can send these via email to (boatdock@...) or boatdock at kfalls dot net ( just incase it does not list email addresses). It is necessary to put pictures of boats under construction or completed boats and pictures of them being built. I want to stir the
[...]
                please send them by snail mail and Please give me a return address to send them back. Thank You again. John Cupp 24335 Modoc Point Road Chiloquin, Oregon 97624 (541)783-7807 No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/> SPONSORED LINKS Boat building design Building design Building design software Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan ------------------------------------------------------------------------------ YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS a.. Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web. b.. To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                AtkinBoats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com c.. Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

                Boat building design
                Building design
                Building design software

                Home building design
                Commercial building design
                Home building design plan

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

              • cartacreations
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 14, 2006
                  Hi John, your just a bit early unfortunantly. I have the Maud & Emeline plans and will
                  begin construction this spring. Lofting will start as soon as I clear space in the garage (2
                  months probably). I'm building her close to the original design with cedar planks and
                  floor but Fir will replace WO in many places. I'll also be using a double planked bottom
                  where two layers of cedar are planked over each other and epoxied together (per Harry
                  Nryans Daisy).

                  I have a good number of nice pics of another Maud & Emeline from the Port Townsend
                  show last year. Some good detail shots. I'll get them online this weekend and send you
                  the links. If any of them look usuable for your article let me know and I can email the
                  originals.

                  David

                  here's two pics I already had online:
                  http://static.flickr.com/24/59020035_e16b9bcdfd.jpg?v=0