Re: "Hope" 26'8" x26'0" x 7'6" x 2'0" Inboard 'Day Cruiser'

  • hhetyson
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 12, 2004
      See photo section to see what I mean about re-styling cabin trunk
      and shelter house. Picture of FK.Lord designed "Foto" which has very
      similar styling to William Atkin's Inboard Power Cruiser designs
      from the 1920's & 1930's

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@y...> wrote:
      > I'm thinking about buying the plans for "Hope" , the 27' x 7' 6
      Inboard cruiser as I'd think she'd make a very nice day/overnignter
      cruiser.Possibly with some subtle re-styling of the cabin and
      shelter house, but retaining the late 1920's- early,to mid '30s
      looks.Powered by a modern light truck diesel of 3.4Litres(about 207
      C.I.D.) and 90 HP @ 3400 rpm she'd easily attain her designed speed
      of 17 mph and maybe even do a bit better.But with all that extra
      power she'd wouldn't go too much faster than 20 Knots, just make a
      lot of waves and suck the stern down.The reason for over powering in
      this case would be to obtain the maximum speed at moderate engine
      revs,have heaps of power in reserve if conditions warranted it and
      prolong engine life due to low - moderate speed running while
      achieving maximum speed(when required) with low noise,reasonable
      economy and less vibration than a smaller inboard diesel working
      flat out!( Besides I'm thinking that the 4 cylinder diesel would
      weigh
      > about the same as the original gasoline motor Hope was designed
      to use.) As to hull construction, strip-planked and epoxy saturated
      would probably be the way go go. Strong, reasonably light and
      durable and can stand drying out,especially if Dynel/Fibreglass
      sheathed. Hopes dimensions are highway legal, so trailering could be
      an option but not an everyday prospect!

      > I've still got to build a Custom designed "Torpedo - stern
      Runabout" by Phil Bolger called "Silver Blaze" first,(when he
      finishes the plans - hopefully in the next couple of months!!), but
      I'm already thinking about future projects and this seems like a
      good idea at the moment!!.

      > I'm interested to know if anyone has any pictures of any completed
      boats of this design (Hope), whether new or from old magazines etc,
      because I'd like to see what she looks like in the "Round".

      > Hugo Tyson, Launceston, Tasmania,
      Australia.