Re: [AtkinBoats] Elon Jessup plywood

    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2005
      On Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:36:10 -0800, rljssn wrote:

      > I've been trying to work out which skiff and what material for too
      > long. I like these old skiffs but the traditional woods in decent grain
      > are turning out just as expensive as the marine plywood in my area. In
      > the description story on Jessup it mentions 1/2" rotary cut Bruynzeel
      > plywood as a substitute. Is there any more information or a precedent
      > from boats built as to how to make this substitution? Is there anything
      > in the scantilings table about the planking? 1/2" ply in the sides and
      > a double thickness on bottom maybe?

      If your Elon Jessup is going to live on a trailer using a plywood bottom,
      at least, is the best way to go.

      For some time I've been meaning to put something together showing what
      scantlings the Atkins used when designing for plywood, to help those who
      want to convert to that kind of planking. I finally got a start in that
      direction, and here are some examples of plywood planked skiffs:

      Katelyn
      14' 3" x 4' 10" x 3' 8 1/4" bottom width
      Sides and bottom 3/8" plywood
      Keel batten 3/4" x 8" plywood
      3/4" x 2 1/2" oak bottom frames on 30" centers

      Sunshine
      17' 1 1/2" x 6' x 4' 9" bottom width
      Sides and bottom 3/8" plywood
      Keel batten 3/4" x 8" oak
      3/4" x 2 1/4" oak bottom frames on 32" centers

      Willy Winship as built by The Boatman
      13' 9" x 4' 10" x 3' 6 1/8" bottom width
      Sides 3/8" plywood
      Bottom 1/2" plywood
      Two 3/4" x 2" white cedar keelsons plus two 1/2" x 2" oak bottom skids
      Frames on about 29" centers

      Jasper
      14' 2" x 4' x 3' 1 1/2" bottom width
      Sides 1/2" plywood
      Bottom 5/8" plywood
      Keel batten 3/4" x 6" pine
      No bottom frames

      The Boatman Willy Winship was obviously overbuilt! I don't know if they
      got those scantlings from John, or if they thought them up themselves.

      Bottom frames are horrible to live with in a flat-bottom skiff! :o( If you
      must use them, make the limbers big, and put limbers both at the chines
      and next to the keelson, otherwise you'll have a heck of a time keeping
      the boat clean and dry. Don't ask how I know... <g> If I was building an
      Atkin skiff I'd go with the cross-planked style bottom, but using plywood
      sheets laid crosswise. I think the scantlings for Jasper are a bit heavy
      -- I'd use 3/8" ply on the sides and 1/2" ply on the bottom for a skiff in
      the 14-16' size range. Elon Jessup would probably be fine with no bottom
      frames and a 1/2" bottom and 3/8" sides (I'd do the lapstrake planks in
      plywood), but a 5/8" plywood bottom might be better for heavy use.

      No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
      himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
      the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
      better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>