Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: 28' Cutter FS, Seattle

  • JohnyM7@excite.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
      This boat is definitely Topsey. If you study the picture closely and look at the aft section of the chine, then look at those same lines on the Atkins site, as well as comparing the specs, you will see that this is a slightly modified Topsey. One of the reasons for building your own boat is to set it up just the way you want it, not necessarily the way the designer would prefer. I would never change the lines or scantlings, but the addition of a bowsprit, an extra sail, a slight change in the forward hatch and rearranging the furniture are not changes that will harm the boat. The Atkins were the greatest of designers, but their preferences in all details are not the Ten Commandments. It is ok to have a few preferences of our own. Just follow the link at the Atkins site for Jerry Colemore. The bowsprit and yankee were not part of the plans as drawn, they were added by the builder. Can anyone seriously call them a mistake? Good luck to all in your sailing adventures.
      JohnM --- On Fri 12/02, lon wells < lononriver@... > wrote:From: lon wells [mailto: lononriver@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:49:59 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: 28' Cutter FS, SeattleIt would be great to know the design of this boat. Since most Atkin designs are unpublished (less than 30%) and many Atkin designs were destroyed with his office in a storm. We probably won't ever know what design this boat is. Atkin used this V hull hard chine hull in many boats.The cabin is the same design as Coot. The bowsprit and forward hatch is like Ensenada. Atkin would take a design and modify it per a customers request. My wife's sailboat, West Wind falls into this category. It has that Atkin hard chine V Hull. a cabin similar to Coot with a bowsprit. So more likely than not, the bowsprit, cabin and forward hatch is per design and not a deviation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of this
      boat especially since one is setting at my dock and my wife would not like me insulting her boat. Lon ---------------------------------Yahoo! PersonalsLet fate take it's course directly to your email.See who's waiting for you Yahoo! Personals[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Boat building design
      Building design
      Building design software

      Home building design
      Commercial building design
      Home building design plan

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.