28' Cutter FS, Seattle

  • sals_dad
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 30, 2005
      I came across this listing on ebay:

      ebay # 4593994205 http://tinyurl.com/9ce7b

      From the listing:

      1941 28' Full Keel Gaff rigged cutter - another one of those boats
      that's so salty it'll make your eyeballs bleed.

      Smooth running universal diesel in great shape.

      Wood stove

      Enclosed head

      Full cover!

      Mainsail, jib and staysail in working condition.

      The boat looks solid and is in useable condition. We sailed her from
      La Connor, WA to Seattle this summer and aside from some problems
      with old diesel fuel the boat preformed great.

      It was a donation, and we don't have much documentation on it, but
      feel free to ask questions and we will pass on what we know.

      We do know that the donor lived in the Southwest and kept the boat
      here in the Northwest. The boat looked after itself unattended for
      long periods and needed little maintenance. It also takes on little
      or no water with the cover in place.

      The boat can be viewed seven days as week from 10:00am-6:00pm at The
      Center for Wooden Boats 1010 Valley St. Seattle, WA 98155. Please
      stop by and take a look before bidding.

      The boat must be removed from our docks by January 10th 2005.
      Moorage is available in the area and runs about $7-8 per foot per
      month.
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 1, 2005
        Looks like it may very well be a Topsy with an added bowsprit and
        Atkin-style forward hatch. I may be old-fashioned, but IMO it takes more
        than just adding an extra headsail to turn a sloop into a cutter. <g> Nice
        looking boat, at least from the pictures. Who's going to buy it so they
        can tell us all about it? ;o)

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Topsy.html

        On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:17:10 -0800, sals_dad > wrote:

        > I came across this listing on ebay:
        >
        > ebay # 4593994205 http://tinyurl.com/9ce7b

        Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
        two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman <Roy
        Blount Jr.>
      • waltbald
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
          Also the coaming forward of the house is missing, and the skylight is
          an addition.

          The verbage in the yahoo group description makes it sound like the
          only problem with tinkering with the plans is that one might
          compromise the performance of the design. Perhaps it should also
          mention the risk of adding ugliness. If you ignore the deviations it's
          a very pretty boat.

          Walter Owens

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@b...> wrote:

          > Looks like it may very well be a Topsy with an added bowsprit and
          > Atkin-style forward hatch. I may be old-fashioned, but IMO it takes
          more
          > than just adding an extra headsail to turn a sloop into a cutter.
          <g> Nice
          > looking boat, at least from the pictures. Who's going to buy it so
          they
          > can tell us all about it? ;o)
          >
          > http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Sail/Topsy.html
          >
          > On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 20:17:10 -0800, sals_dad > wrote:
          >
          > > I came across this listing on ebay:
          > >
          > > ebay # 4593994205 http://tinyurl.com/9ce7b
          >
          > --
          > John <jkohnen@b...>
          > Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet
          > two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman <Roy
          > Blount Jr.>

        • lon wells
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 2, 2005
            It would be great to know the design of this boat. Since most Atkin designs are unpublished (less than 30%) and many Atkin designs were destroyed with his office in a storm. We probably won't ever know what design this boat is.

            Atkin used this V hull hard chine hull in many boats.The cabin is the same design as Coot. The bowsprit and forward hatch is like Ensenada. Atkin would take a design and modify it per a customers request.

            My wife's sailboat, West Wind falls into this category. It has that Atkin hard chine V Hull. a cabin similar to Coot with a bowsprit.

            So more likely than not, the bowsprit, cabin and forward hatch is per design and not a deviation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of this boat especially since one is setting at my dock and my wife would not like me insulting her boat.
            Lon

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 7, 2005
              This boat is definitely Topsey. If you study the picture closely and look at the aft section of the chine, then look at those same lines on the Atkins site, as well as comparing the specs, you will see that this is a slightly modified Topsey. One of the reasons for building your own boat is to set it up just the way you want it, not necessarily the way the designer would prefer. I would never change the lines or scantlings, but the addition of a bowsprit, an extra sail, a slight change in the forward hatch and rearranging the furniture are not changes that will harm the boat. The Atkins were the greatest of designers, but their preferences in all details are not the Ten Commandments. It is ok to have a few preferences of our own. Just follow the link at the Atkins site for Jerry Colemore. The bowsprit and yankee were not part of the plans as drawn, they were added by the builder. Can anyone seriously call them a mistake? Good luck to all in your sailing adventures.
              JohnM --- On Fri 12/02, lon wells < lononriver@... > wrote:From: lon wells [mailto: lononriver@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 2 Dec 2005 13:49:59 -0800 (PST)Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: 28' Cutter FS, SeattleIt would be great to know the design of this boat. Since most Atkin designs are unpublished (less than 30%) and many Atkin designs were destroyed with his office in a storm. We probably won't ever know what design this boat is. Atkin used this V hull hard chine hull in many boats.The cabin is the same design as Coot. The bowsprit and forward hatch is like Ensenada. Atkin would take a design and modify it per a customers request. My wife's sailboat, West Wind falls into this category. It has that Atkin hard chine V Hull. a cabin similar to Coot with a bowsprit. So more likely than not, the bowsprit, cabin and forward hatch is per design and not a deviation. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like the look of this
              boat especially since one is setting at my dock and my wife would not like me insulting her boat. Lon ---------------------------------Yahoo! PersonalsLet fate take it's course directly to your email.See who's waiting for you Yahoo! Personals[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

              Boat building design
              Building design
              Building design software

              Home building design
              Commercial building design
              Home building design plan

              YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

              Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.