RE: [AtkinBoats] Russell R

  • JohnyM7@excite.com
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 26, 2005
      Hi Jeff, I haven't used MDO personally, but I belong to some other boatbuilding forums and have heard nothing but praise for MDO from those who have used it. They seem to get better results than those who use BS1088 marine ply. If I build another plywood boat I will use MDO. With regards to epoxy paint I have heard it both praised and cursed. Som builders have had great results while others have told horror stories. Epoxies were originally developed as industrial paints for concrete surfaces such as warehouses, parking lots and streets. They could stand up to both the weather and the abuse of vehicles driving over them. These surfaces are flat however, which the hull of a boat is not. Some builders have told of epoxy paint sagging after it's applied. I don't know if this is from improper application or if it is from using a paint that was not manufactured for marine use. I would contact the manufacturer and ask if it is suitable for a boat. Good luck with Russel
      R. JohnM --- On Thu 11/24, huttbldr < huttbldr@... > wrote:From: huttbldr [mailto: huttbldr@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:41:32 -0000Subject: [AtkinBoats] Russell RFirst time building a boat but have built lots of houses so I am aware of the different materials for homes but not boats. I'm thinking of sheeting the bottom of the Russell R. with 2 layers of 3/8in. MDO ply laminated with epoxy and the sides with 2 layers of 1/4in MDO also with epoxy. Finish would be with an epoxy paint like Emeron or Sterling over epoxy primer. Does anyone have a thought on if this is a good idea or not................Thanks JeffNo flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog
      is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Boat building design
      Building design
      Building design software

      Home building design
      Commercial building design
      Home building design plan

      YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

      Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 26, 2005
        Thanks for the response,
        I had a 1968 Owens 20ft runabout that was built out fiberglass and used
        Emeron two part epoxy on the hull. It held up great for 6 years. No problems with
        sagging and the gloss held up great even in salt water in Calif. I'm much
        better with paint than fiberglass and I think the weight ratio would be more
        what Atkins intended.
        Cant seem to find a low profile 9.9 horse outboard to power her. Seems their
        all about the same anymore..............................Thanks again, Jeff

      • Jeff Hutter
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
          I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
          of some intrest.
          Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
          pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
          out some other way.
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
            Thanks for the pictures Jeff! Russell R. is one of my favorite Atkin
            boats, so I'm thrilled to see one being built. Here's a link to pictures
            of Jeff's project -- she looks great so far!

            http://tinyurl.com/l2gae

            Please tell us some more about the construction details; plywood
            thickness, framing, etc. What do you plan to use for power?

            On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:43:18 -0700, Jeff Hutter wrote:

            > I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
            > of some intrest.
            > Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
            > pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
            > out some other way.

            I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
            better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
          • Mike Dolph
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
              I feel I missed the boat since this was the design I had hoped to
              build in Brazil. Well, I still have the plans as no one from the
              NGO I tried to donate them to ever showed up to get them. Maybe
              someday I'll build it in plywood with your pictures and advice to
              help me. I'm sure this will look better in WoodenBoat Magazine's
              launchings section that the rough job I had planned to do with local
              timber.

              What sort of cabin, if any, are you planning? Are all those frames
              staying in the boat? I had intended to make a "bird watcher" cabin
              with plexiglass sides if possible. It may be too late to help but I
              can pass on a tip I had from one of our members in Nicaragua: make
              sure you have enough width in the motor well to incline the outboard
              of your choice when it is turned hard over. The safety reason being
              that it might otherwise chew up the well in reverse or running
              aground. I had planned to use a Yamaha 15 HP two cycle because of
              it's ready availability and service network in Brazil, you of course
              have many more choices.

              I spent so much time dreaming over those plans! Thanks from me
              personally for sharing with us.

              John Dolph

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...>

            • huttbldr@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                Hey John,
                The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
                time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
                on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
                and bottom.
                To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
                and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

                Later Jeff

                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 16, 2006
                  I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
                  fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
                  the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
                  have. What thickness ply did you use?

                  I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
                  Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
                  headroom won't be as cramped.

                  That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
                  is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
                  extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
                  call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
                  Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
                  Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
                  of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
                  light!

                  I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
                  trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
                  engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
                  any of the boats I've got now...

                  On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

                  > Hey John,
                  > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
                  > at a
                  > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
                  > plan
                  > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
                  > sides
                  > and bottom.
                  > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
                  > so far
                  > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

                  It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
                  word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                • Jeff Hutter
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
                    You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
                  • F. Neil Simms
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                      Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
                      performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
                      consumption?

                      Congrats!

                      Neil S.
                    • huttbldr@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                        she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
                        on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                      • adharvey2
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                          Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                          life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                          similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                          look in 3D.

                          I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                          Andrew Harvey

                          -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                          > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                        • waltbald
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
                            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                            > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                            Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                            money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                            you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                            to put what's left of their money.

                            have fun,

                            Walter Owens
                          • David
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                              Damfine Job.

                              Cheers,
                              David G

                              *************

                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                                Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                                ever done.

                              • uncleralph123
                                Message 15 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                                  > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                                  hours
                                  > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                                  Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                                  Ralph
                                • huttbldr@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                                    She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                                    hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                                    charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                                    motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                                    In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                    UncleRalph@... writes:

                                    --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,

                                    now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)