Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • John B. Trussell
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
      Ron--

      The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
      Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
      paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
      materials is relatively small.

      The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
      materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
      quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
      material cost is, therefore, not great.

      I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
      buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
      mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
      lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
      exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

      Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
      that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
      they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

      Good luck.

      John T