Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • John B. Trussell
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
      There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
      good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

      John t
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
        <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

        > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
        smells
        > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
        >
        > John t
        Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
        blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
        finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
        miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
        a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
        a 13' skiff price wise.
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
          Ron--

          The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
          Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
          paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
          materials is relatively small.

          The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
          materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
          quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
          material cost is, therefore, not great.

          I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
          buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
          mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
          lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
          exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

          Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
          that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
          they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

          Good luck.

          John T