Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

      > Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
      > (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
      > document as Port Orford Cedar.

      I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
      cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
      the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
      make the side planking easier.
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
        There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
        good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

        John t
        >> Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
        >> (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
        >> document as Port Orford Cedar.
        >>

        > I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
        > cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
        > the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
        > make the side planking easier.

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Ron Carter
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
          <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

          > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
          smells
          > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
          >
          > John t
          Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
          blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
          finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
          miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
          a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
          a 13' skiff price wise.
        • John B. Trussell
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
            Ron--

            The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
            Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
            paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
            materials is relatively small.

            The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
            materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
            quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
            material cost is, therefore, not great.

            I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
            buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
            mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
            lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
            exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

            Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
            that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
            they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

            Good luck.

            John T