Russell R

  • huttbldr
    Message 1 of 18 , Nov 24, 2005
      First time building a boat but have built lots of houses so I am aware
      of the different materials for homes but not boats. I'm thinking of
      sheeting the bottom of the Russell R. with 2 layers of 3/8in. MDO ply
      laminated with epoxy and the sides with 2 layers of 1/4in MDO also with
      epoxy. Finish would be with an epoxy paint like Emeron or Sterling over
      epoxy primer. Does anyone have a thought on if this is a good idea or
      not................Thanks Jeff
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 18 , Nov 25, 2005
        Jeff--I just finished a 19 ft sail boat using 3/8's MDO. The bottom panel
        is a laminate of 2 layers MDO epoxied together for a 3/4" thickmess. I did
        not epoxy or fg the exterior--seams are taped with fg tape set in epoxt on
        the outside and in an epoxy fillet on the inside--pretty standard stitch and
        glue. I have not been able to locate any 1/4" MDO; only 3/8" and 1/2'.

        I have no idea yet how long this stuff will last. Scraps left outside for
        over a year (to include a fairly mild South Carolina winter and an unusually
        wet summer) show no signs of delamination.

        There is considerable information on painting MDO on the web. Note that this
        stuff exists because highway departments buy it in large quantities to make
        signs. I finished mine in water based enamels. My boat is plainly
        finished--not to yacht standards. I've done it before, but my old back is
        too decrepit for the necessary sanding and filling.

        Good luck.

        John T

      • JohnyM7@excite.com
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 26, 2005
          Hi Jeff, I haven't used MDO personally, but I belong to some other boatbuilding forums and have heard nothing but praise for MDO from those who have used it. They seem to get better results than those who use BS1088 marine ply. If I build another plywood boat I will use MDO. With regards to epoxy paint I have heard it both praised and cursed. Som builders have had great results while others have told horror stories. Epoxies were originally developed as industrial paints for concrete surfaces such as warehouses, parking lots and streets. They could stand up to both the weather and the abuse of vehicles driving over them. These surfaces are flat however, which the hull of a boat is not. Some builders have told of epoxy paint sagging after it's applied. I don't know if this is from improper application or if it is from using a paint that was not manufactured for marine use. I would contact the manufacturer and ask if it is suitable for a boat. Good luck with Russel
          R. JohnM --- On Thu 11/24, huttbldr < huttbldr@... > wrote:From: huttbldr [mailto: huttbldr@...]To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.comDate: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 01:41:32 -0000Subject: [AtkinBoats] Russell RFirst time building a boat but have built lots of houses so I am aware of the different materials for homes but not boats. I'm thinking of sheeting the bottom of the Russell R. with 2 layers of 3/8in. MDO ply laminated with epoxy and the sides with 2 layers of 1/4in MDO also with epoxy. Finish would be with an epoxy paint like Emeron or Sterling over epoxy primer. Does anyone have a thought on if this is a good idea or not................Thanks JeffNo flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.The current Atkin boat plans catalog
          is online at <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

          Boat building design
          Building design
          Building design software

          Home building design
          Commercial building design
          Home building design plan

          YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          Visit your group "AtkinBoats" on the web.

          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 26, 2005
            Thanks for the response,
            I had a 1968 Owens 20ft runabout that was built out fiberglass and used
            Emeron two part epoxy on the hull. It held up great for 6 years. No problems with
            sagging and the gloss held up great even in salt water in Calif. I'm much
            better with paint than fiberglass and I think the weight ratio would be more
            what Atkins intended.
            Cant seem to find a low profile 9.9 horse outboard to power her. Seems their
            all about the same anymore..............................Thanks again, Jeff

          • Jeff Hutter
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
              I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
              of some intrest.
              Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
              pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
              out some other way.
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                Thanks for the pictures Jeff! Russell R. is one of my favorite Atkin
                boats, so I'm thrilled to see one being built. Here's a link to pictures
                of Jeff's project -- she looks great so far!

                http://tinyurl.com/l2gae

                Please tell us some more about the construction details; plywood
                thickness, framing, etc. What do you plan to use for power?

                On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 10:43:18 -0700, Jeff Hutter wrote:

                > I sent a bunch of pics of the building process to date. Hope they are
                > of some intrest.
                > Oh, I'm not very good with computers so I sent the website with the
                > pics to John. If this does'nt work please let me know and I will figure
                > out some other way.

                I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the
                better for it. <Abraham Lincoln>
              • Mike Dolph
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 9, 2006
                  I feel I missed the boat since this was the design I had hoped to
                  build in Brazil. Well, I still have the plans as no one from the
                  NGO I tried to donate them to ever showed up to get them. Maybe
                  someday I'll build it in plywood with your pictures and advice to
                  help me. I'm sure this will look better in WoodenBoat Magazine's
                  launchings section that the rough job I had planned to do with local
                  timber.

                  What sort of cabin, if any, are you planning? Are all those frames
                  staying in the boat? I had intended to make a "bird watcher" cabin
                  with plexiglass sides if possible. It may be too late to help but I
                  can pass on a tip I had from one of our members in Nicaragua: make
                  sure you have enough width in the motor well to incline the outboard
                  of your choice when it is turned hard over. The safety reason being
                  that it might otherwise chew up the well in reverse or running
                  aground. I had planned to use a Yamaha 15 HP two cycle because of
                  it's ready availability and service network in Brazil, you of course
                  have many more choices.

                  I spent so much time dreaming over those plans! Thanks from me
                  personally for sharing with us.

                  John Dolph

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...>

                • huttbldr@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 10, 2006
                    Hey John,
                    The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one at a
                    time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I plan
                    on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the sides
                    and bottom.
                    To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project so far
                    and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

                    Later Jeff

                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 16, 2006
                      I figured those were just molds, but those fancy gussets you used almost
                      fooled me. <g> I guess you're going to go with the frameless bottom as per
                      the plans. I see you laid the bottom plywood crosswise, just like I would
                      have. What thickness ply did you use?

                      I hope you're going to make the cuddy light and low, something like Little
                      Effort's. I think the canvas top, as drawn, is a better setup, since the
                      headroom won't be as cramped.

                      That Tohatsu/Nissan/Mercury engine seems like a good one. The Tohatsu 15
                      is just a detuned 18, so I can see why you were tempted to go for the
                      extra power at the same weight. That'll be 50% more power than the plans
                      call for, but using extra power to compensate for an overweight boat is a
                      Bad Idea -- that's what a lot of the modern motorboat manufacturers do!
                      Along with using horsepower to compensate for poor design... Too bad lots
                      of horsepower can't compensate for the looks! <g> So try to keep your boat
                      light!

                      I don't see where Russell R. would fit into my fleet right now. But I'm
                      trying to work up enough gumption to start a Sprite. I've got some
                      engines, new and old, that'd be just right for Sprite, but are too big for
                      any of the boats I've got now...

                      On Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:52:33 -0700, Jeff wrote:

                      > Hey John,
                      > The frames are just temporary. I'm in the process of removing them one
                      > at a
                      > time and replacing them with the permanent side frames. At this point I
                      > plan
                      > on a cuddy cabin with a center helm. I used okumue marine ply for the
                      > sides
                      > and bottom.
                      > To power her I got a Tohatsu 18 Hp outboard. Its been a great project
                      > so far
                      > and what a learning curve. I would encourage you to build her some day.

                      It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a
                      word! <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                    • Jeff Hutter
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 5, 2008
                        You can see the photos under "On The Job II"
                      • F. Neil Simms
                        Message 11 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                          Stunning! Can you give us a report on how you powered her, and
                          performance achieved, especially max speed, cruise speed, and fuel
                          consumption?

                          Congrats!

                          Neil S.
                        • huttbldr@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                            she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14 hours
                            on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                          • adharvey2
                            Message 13 of 18 , Oct 6, 2008
                              Great job, Jeff! It's great to see those really unique designs come to
                              life in pictures, and especially helpful to those contemplating
                              similar designs. Now I have a better idea of how "Little Effort" might
                              look in 3D.

                              I love all the bright work you put on her - especially the foredeck.

                              Andrew Harvey

                              -- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                              > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                            • waltbald
                              Message 14 of 18 , Oct 9, 2008
                                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Hutter" <huttbldr@...> wrote:

                                > You can see the photos under "On The Job II"

                                Fabulous boat! Of course now people are going to take you for some old
                                money type. They'll be trying to remember you from Yale and wanting
                                you to pitch in a few mil for their margin call and asking you where
                                to put what's left of their money.

                                have fun,

                                Walter Owens
                              • David
                                Message 15 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                                  Damfine Job.

                                  Cheers,
                                  David G

                                  *************

                                  Message 16 of 18 , Oct 19, 2008
                                    Thank you, building her has been one of the most fascinating things I've
                                    ever done.

                                  • uncleralph123
                                    Message 17 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                                      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, huttbldr@... wrote:

                                      > she has a 18hp tohatsu 4 stroke under the rear hatch. I only have 14
                                      hours
                                      > on the motor as Im still learning how she handles.

                                      Beautiful job. Do you have an update on its performance?

                                      Ralph
                                    • huttbldr@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 18 , Feb 12, 2009
                                        She handles better than I thought she would. Wen't thru 2 foot wake like a
                                        hot knife thru butter. Having a problem with the motor right now. I was
                                        charging the battries when the motor started smokeing. I't melted the oil cap. The
                                        motor did'nt seem to overheat. It looks like the cap melted from the inside.

                                        In a message dated 2/12/2009 10:31:02 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
                                        UncleRalph@... writes:

                                        --- In _AtkinBoats@yahoogroAtkinBo_ (mailto:AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com) ,

                                        now. (http://yellowpages.aol.com/search?query=florist&ncid=emlcntusyelp00000002)