Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
      Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
      (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
      document as Port Orford Cedar.

      regards,

      Walter Owens

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, stuart crawford <scrawford@p...> wrote:

      > Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to
      Macracarpa)

      > Stuart Crawford.
      >
      > > From: James Greene <jg6892@g...>
      > > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
      > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
      > >
      > > Cypress is great keel wood.
      > >
      > > James Greene
      > >

      > > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
      > >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor
      water,
      > >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is
      resistent to rot
      > >> and will last a long, long time.
      > >

      > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
      be polite.

      > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
      plans. If you
      > > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co.
      will take no
      > > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
      > >
      > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      > >

      > > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • Ron Carter
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

        > Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
        > (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
        > document as Port Orford Cedar.

        I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
        cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
        the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
        make the side planking easier.
      • John B. Trussell
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
          There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
          good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

          John t
          >> Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
          >> (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
          >> document as Port Orford Cedar.
          >>

          > I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
          > cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
          > the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
          > make the side planking easier.

          > polite.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ron Carter
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
            <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

            > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
            smells
            > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
            >
            > John t
            Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
            blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
            finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
            miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
            a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
            a 13' skiff price wise.
          • John B. Trussell
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
              Ron--

              The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
              Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
              paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
              materials is relatively small.

              The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
              materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
              quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
              material cost is, therefore, not great.

              I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
              buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
              mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
              lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
              exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

              Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
              that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
              they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

              Good luck.

              John T