Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • James Greene
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
      Cypress is great keel wood.

      James Greene

      On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
      > Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
      > becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
      > and will last a long, long time.
    • stuart crawford
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
        Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to Macracarpa)

        Stuart Crawford.

        > From: James Greene <jg6892@...>
        > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
        > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
        >
        > Cypress is great keel wood.
        >
        > James Greene
        >

        > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
        >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
        >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
        >> and will last a long, long time.
        >

        > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.
        >
        > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
        > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
        > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • waltbald
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
          Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
          (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
          document as Port Orford Cedar.

          regards,

          Walter Owens

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, stuart crawford <scrawford@p...> wrote:

          > Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to
          Macracarpa)

          > Stuart Crawford.
          >
          > > From: James Greene <jg6892@g...>
          > > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
          > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
          > > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
          > >
          > > Cypress is great keel wood.
          > >
          > > James Greene
          > >

          > > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
          > >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor
          water,
          > >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is
          resistent to rot
          > >> and will last a long, long time.
          > >

          > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
          be polite.

          > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
          plans. If you
          > > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co.
          will take no
          > > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
          > >
          > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
          > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          > >

          > > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Ron Carter
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

            > Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
            > (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
            > document as Port Orford Cedar.

            I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
            cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
            the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
            make the side planking easier.
          • John B. Trussell
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
              There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
              good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

              John t
              >> Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
              >> (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
              >> document as Port Orford Cedar.
              >>

              > I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
              > cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
              > the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
              > make the side planking easier.

              > polite.

              > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ron Carter
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
                <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

                > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
                smells
                > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
                >
                > John t
                Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
                blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
                finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
                miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
                a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
                a 13' skiff price wise.
              • John B. Trussell
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
                  Ron--

                  The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
                  Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
                  paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
                  materials is relatively small.

                  The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
                  materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
                  quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
                  material cost is, therefore, not great.

                  I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
                  buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
                  mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
                  lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
                  exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

                  Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
                  that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
                  they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

                  Good luck.

                  John T