Re: Wood for Bagaduce

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
      Jon,
      FWIW I talked to Johnson this morning and was asssured that there
      wasn't a stick of white cedar in their posession that was suitable for
      boat planking. Their expectations weren't very high that the problem
      would be corrected any time soon. They do have some nice cypress that
      might be good and even in lengths that would not require scarfing.
      Will have to ponder that one as cypress is quite a bit heavier than
      cedar.
      Ron
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
        Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
        becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
        and will last a long, long time.

        John T
        > FWIW I talked to Johnson this morning and was asssured that there
        > wasn't a stick of white cedar in their posession that was suitable for
        > boat planking. Their expectations weren't very high that the problem
        > would be corrected any time soon. They do have some nice cypress that
        > might be good and even in lengths that would not require scarfing.
        > Will have to ponder that one as cypress is quite a bit heavier than
        > cedar.
        > Ron

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • James Greene
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
          Cypress is great keel wood.

          James Greene

          On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
          > Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
          > becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
          > and will last a long, long time.
        • stuart crawford
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
            Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to Macracarpa)

            Stuart Crawford.

            > From: James Greene <jg6892@...>
            > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
            > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
            >
            > Cypress is great keel wood.
            >
            > James Greene
            >

            > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
            >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
            >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
            >> and will last a long, long time.
            >

            > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.
            >
            > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
            > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
            > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • waltbald
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
              Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
              (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
              document as Port Orford Cedar.

              regards,

              Walter Owens

              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, stuart crawford <scrawford@p...> wrote:

              > Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to
              Macracarpa)

              > Stuart Crawford.
              >
              > > From: James Greene <jg6892@g...>
              > > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
              > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
              > > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
              > >
              > > Cypress is great keel wood.
              > >
              > > James Greene
              > >

              > > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
              > >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor
              water,
              > >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is
              resistent to rot
              > >> and will last a long, long time.
              > >

              > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
              be polite.

              > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
              plans. If you
              > > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co.
              will take no
              > > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
              > >
              > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
              > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
              > >

              > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            • Ron Carter
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

                > Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
                > (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
                > document as Port Orford Cedar.

                I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
                cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
                the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
                make the side planking easier.
              • John B. Trussell
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                  There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
                  good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

                  John t
                  >> Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
                  >> (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
                  >> document as Port Orford Cedar.
                  >>

                  > I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
                  > cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
                  > the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
                  > make the side planking easier.

                  > polite.

                  > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                  >

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ron Carter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
                    <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

                    > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
                    smells
                    > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
                    >
                    > John t
                    Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
                    blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
                    finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
                    miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
                    a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
                    a 13' skiff price wise.
                  • John B. Trussell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
                      Ron--

                      The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
                      Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
                      paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
                      materials is relatively small.

                      The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
                      materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
                      quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
                      material cost is, therefore, not great.

                      I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
                      buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
                      mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
                      lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
                      exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

                      Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
                      that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
                      they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

                      Good luck.

                      John T