Re: Marine Plywood????

  • David
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
      OK, I'm confused. Any reason you can't return the 25 sheets to the
      firm you purchased them from? Most suppliers will replace defective
      materials without an argument. Also confused by the reference to
      "drying". Did you mean you brought them into the space where they'll
      be used or machined - in order to acclimatize them? That is something
      we frequently do, with lumber, plywood, or even with MDF,
      particleboard & melamine. FWIW, the two primary Lloyds spec's for
      marine ply are BS1088 & BS6566. They're very similar, with 6566
      allowing slightly lesser quality, but not junk by any means. You might
      also consider sign-grade MDO.

      Cheers,
      David Graybeal
      Portland, OR.

      "Moderation in all things, especially moderation" - anon.

      *******************

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
      <cartacreations@y...> wrote:

      > Well you would do good to buy only certified marine ply, BS 1088 I
      belive. There are other certificatiosn as well. Do some research and
      find the names of the overseas manufacturers (ie shelmarine) and then
      ask specifically for those brands when buying.

      > Now for the "drying". I'm not clear on what you mean by that.
      Plywood does not need to by stickered and dried. It comes kiln dry
      and due to the cross grain of the ply glue ups will not move with
      moisture. The best way to store ply is stacked flat, sheet to sheet,
      just like you see it at the lumber yard.

      > dave
      >
      > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I bought 25 sheets of so called marine plywood from an American
      plywood plant. Put it up to let it air-dry, now it is delaminateing.
      Not just a little on the edges, but BAD, and I do mean BAD...

      > > Yes, it was stacked and sticked in a drying facility I have had
      and used for years without any problems.

      > > From now on, I'll buy European, Brazilizn, Mexican or from
      anywhere else, But NEVER American made marine plywood...