Wood for Bagaduce

  • Cooper & Price
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 22, 2005
      Have you tried Johnson's in Charlotte Michigan?

      They carry most anything including white cedar. I'm not sure how much you need but I get it a wholesale (Their "level 4" price). You can surely piggyback an order with me.

      http://www.theworkbench.com/

      Also - if you are a reasonable drive from Jackson, Mi and need a extra set hands let me know...

      Jon Cassino

      This email has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus prior to being sent to you.

    • Ron Carter
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 22, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Cooper & Price" <cooperprice@c...>
        wrote:

        > Have you tried Johnson's in Charlotte Michigan?
        >
        >> http://www.theworkbench.com/
        >
        > Also - if you are a reasonable drive from Jackson, Mi and need a
        extra set hands let me know...

        > Jon Cassino
        >
        >Jon,
        I have not but will contact them. I only need about 100 board feet if
        it is truly planking quality with little or no scrap loss. Was going
        to pick up about 200 feet of cants for resawing assuming 50% waste.
        I'm in Branch which is 20 miles east of Ludington. Was born and
        raised in Jackson. Left in 1958 however.
        Ron
      • Ron Carter
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
          Jon,
          FWIW I talked to Johnson this morning and was asssured that there
          wasn't a stick of white cedar in their posession that was suitable for
          boat planking. Their expectations weren't very high that the problem
          would be corrected any time soon. They do have some nice cypress that
          might be good and even in lengths that would not require scarfing.
          Will have to ponder that one as cypress is quite a bit heavier than
          cedar.
          Ron
        • John B. Trussell
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
            Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
            becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
            and will last a long, long time.

            John T
            > FWIW I talked to Johnson this morning and was asssured that there
            > wasn't a stick of white cedar in their posession that was suitable for
            > boat planking. Their expectations weren't very high that the problem
            > would be corrected any time soon. They do have some nice cypress that
            > might be good and even in lengths that would not require scarfing.
            > Will have to ponder that one as cypress is quite a bit heavier than
            > cedar.
            > Ron

            > polite.

            > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

          • James Greene
            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 23, 2005
              Cypress is great keel wood.

              James Greene

              On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
              > Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
              > becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
              > and will last a long, long time.
            • stuart crawford
              Message 6 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
                Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to Macracarpa)

                Stuart Crawford.

                > From: James Greene <jg6892@...>
                > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
                > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
                >
                > Cypress is great keel wood.
                >
                > James Greene
                >

                > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
                >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor water,
                >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is resistent to rot
                >> and will last a long, long time.
                >

                > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.
                >
                > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you
                > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
                > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.

                > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                >

                > Yahoo! Groups Links

              • waltbald
                Message 7 of 11 , Nov 24, 2005
                  Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
                  (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
                  document as Port Orford Cedar.

                  regards,

                  Walter Owens

                  --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, stuart crawford <scrawford@p...> wrote:

                  > Is the cypress you are referring to Lawsons cypress? (related to
                  Macracarpa)

                  > Stuart Crawford.
                  >
                  > > From: James Greene <jg6892@g...>
                  > > Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 11:52:14 +0800
                  > > To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Wood for Bagaduce
                  > >
                  > > Cypress is great keel wood.
                  > >
                  > > James Greene
                  > >

                  > > On Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:52:06 -0500, John B. Trussell wrote:
                  > >> Cypress starts out heavier than cedar and then soaks up a lot mor
                  water,
                  > >> becoming very heavy indeed. On the plus side, cypress is
                  resistent to rot
                  > >> and will last a long, long time.
                  > >

                  > > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please
                  be polite.

                  > > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the
                  plans. If you
                  > > stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co.
                  will take no
                  > > responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
                  > >
                  > > The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
                  > > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                  > >

                  > > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Ron Carter
                  Message 8 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                    --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "waltbald" <lwo2@a...> wrote:

                    > Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
                    > (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
                    > document as Port Orford Cedar.

                    I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
                    cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
                    the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
                    make the side planking easier.
                  • John B. Trussell
                    Message 9 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                      There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and smells
                      good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.

                      John t
                      >> Much more likely bald cypress (Taxodium distichum). Lawsons Cypress
                      >> (Chamaecyparis Lawsoniana) is idenditfied in a US Forest Products Lab
                      >> document as Port Orford Cedar.
                      >>

                      > I'm certain that the Cypress referred to by Johnson's is bald
                      > cypress. I've found another lead for white cedar so cypress goes to
                      > the back of the list. Too bad because the 16' lengths would certainly
                      > make the side planking easier.

                      > polite.

                      > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Ron Carter
                      Message 10 of 11 , Nov 25, 2005
                        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John B. Trussell"
                        <John.Trussell@w...> wrote:

                        > There are other woods to plank with. Sassafrass works nicely and
                        smells
                        > good while you're working with it. Finding it can be tough.
                        >
                        > John t
                        Lost of Sassafrass right here on my property. The problem is the tops
                        blow out of them before they reach milling size and the woodpeckers
                        finish them off. There is a stand of them on Lake Michigan about 100
                        miles south of here. Friend bought some "on the hoof" for about $3.00
                        a board foor plus cutting hauling and milling. A bit out of reach for
                        a 13' skiff price wise.
                      • John B. Trussell
                        Message 11 of 11 , Nov 26, 2005
                          Ron--

                          The materials which go into the building of a boat are the cheapest part.
                          Compared to the cost of labor, a motor, a trailer, and the gear (anchor,
                          paddle, PFD's, compass, fire extinguisher, flares, etc), the cost of
                          materials is relatively small.

                          The difference in per unit cost between cheap materials and expensive
                          materials may seem significant. However, on small boats like Bagaduce, the
                          quantity of materials used is small, and the difference in the total
                          material cost is, therefore, not great.

                          I don't know what tools you have access to, but I have had good luck in
                          buying "rough sawn" lumber and using a 14" bandsaw and a thickness planer to
                          mill it to required dimensions--this is a little cheaper than buyng milled
                          lumber. If you can get "live edge" rough sawn lumber, you can frequently
                          exploit a curve or get a little wider plank just where you need it.

                          Going beyond the retailer to the saw mill can be a challenge, but I've found
                          that a lot of people running saw mills are really happy to talk about what
                          they do and that they will often be able to produce what you need.

                          Good luck.

                          John T