Wild Onion

  • Wayne Jeffers
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 26, 2004
      Thanks for the great Atkin web site, John!

      I see in the description of Wild Oats that the rigs of that design
      and the flat-bottomed Red Onion are interchangeable.

      Wild Onion appears to be Wild Oats with a prettier sheer line and
      cabin.

      Can anyone tell me whether it would be practical to put the Red Onion
      gaff rig on Wild Onion without modification, in place of the Bermuda
      rig? Or, do the plans for Wild Onion include details for a gaff rig?

      (Any boat I build would have to be trailered each time out and I will
      need to step the mast singlehanded, so I like the gaff rig better.)

      Am I correct in my assumption that the interior arrangements of Wild
      Onion are substantially the same as those of Red Onion/Wild Oats?

      Wayne
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
        The center of effort of both Wild Oats and Wild Onion are in the same
        location on the waterline (17' lwl for all three boats), Red Onions center
        of effort is a few inches aft of that for the jib-headed boats. If the gaff
        rig from Red Onion will work on Wild Oats, it'll work on Wild Onion. I don't
        think the plans for Wild Onion include a gaff rig. You may be able to read
        the dimensions off of the study plan for Red Onion. When you buy the plans
        for Wild Onion, also buy the study plans for Wild Oats. Tell Mrs. Atkin what
        you're thinking of doing and maybe she'll take extra care making copies from
        Ideal Series volume 8 (which is where the study plans come from) so the
        dimensions will be legible.

        The interior layout of Wild Onion is the same as Wild Oats and Red Onion.
        What else are you going to do in shallow 18' boat? <g> I should have put the
        interior arrangement of Wild Onion online instead of the deck plan. <shrug>
        One of these days I'll go back and revamp the pages that date from when I
        was still figuring out how to present the Atkin boats...

        On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 18:03:05 -0000, Wayne wrote:
        > I see in the description of Wild Oats that the rigs of that design
        > and the flat-bottomed Red Onion are interchangeable.
        > Can anyone tell me whether it would be practical to put the Red Onion
        > gaff rig on Wild Onion without modification, in place of the Bermuda
        > rig? Or, do the plans for Wild Onion include details for a gaff rig?
        > Am I correct in my assumption that the interior arrangements of Wild
        > Onion are substantially the same as those of Red Onion/Wild Oats?

        I care not for a man's religion whose dog or cat are not the better for it.
        <Abraham Lincoln>
      • Wayne Jeffers
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 27, 2004
          Thanks for the information, John!

          With the gaff rig (shorter mast), Wild Onion would probably be the
          closest I've found yet to MY ideal sheltered water small cruiser for
          two, short of commissioning a design.

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 2, 2004
            I wasn't thinking straight the other day. If you're sure you want the gaff
            rig for your Wild Onion you don't need the plan sheet with the jib-headed
            rig at all! When you order the plans, just ask Mrs. Atkin to substitute the
            sail plan sheet from Red Onion. The plans are copied as orders come in, so
            there aren't shelves full of "sets" that'd have to be broken up to satisfy
            your needs. Wild Onion is a nice little boat. Where are the sheltered waters
            you'll be cruising?

            On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 17:59:29 -0000, Wayne wrote:
            > Thanks for the information, John!
            >
            > With the gaff rig (shorter mast), Wild Onion would probably be the
            > closest I've found yet to MY ideal sheltered water small cruiser for
            > two, short of commissioning a design.

            In this world of sin and sorrow there is always something to be thankful
            for; as for me, I rejoice that I am not a Republican. <H. L. Mencken>
          • Wayne Jeffers
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 5, 2004
              Thanks for the suggestion, John. Makes sense.

              I'm located in southeast Ohio, so the boat would be used on various
              inland lakes. I'll be retiring soon and trips to the Great Lakes or
              to Chesapeake Bay via trailer for extended gunkholeing are a
              possibility.

              Wayne