Marine Plywood????

  • JJ Johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
      I bought 25 sheets of so called marine plywood from an American plywood
      plant. Put it up to let it air-dry, now it is delaminateing. Not just a
      little on the edges, but BAD, and I do mean BAD...

      Yes, it was stacked and sticked in a drying facility I have had and
      used for years without any problems.

      From now on, I'll buy European, Brazilizn, Mexican or from anywhere
      else, But NEVER American made marine plywood...
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
        I'm sorry to hear of your problem.

        I just finished a one year project using MDO plywood (the kind used for
        highway signs--not the kind used for concrete forms). I cut it with a saber
        saw, a skil saw, a cariety of planes and a variety of sanders. Experienced
        zero splintering or voids. Scraps let otside over a winter and a very wet
        summer show no signs of delamination. I think it's pretty good stuff.

        Manufacturers will build products based on demand. The plywood boatbuilding
        community is a very small market; Highway departments are a much bigger
        market and they tend to get ugly if the product doesn't meet specs. As a
        result, sign quality MDO is a superior product. If your boat requires 3/8"
        or 1/2" ply, I recommend MDO. If the boat requires thinner ply, I suggest
        you nite the bullet and order top quality European ply.

        John T
        >I bought 25 sheets of so called marine plywood from an American plywood
        > plant. Put it up to let it air-dry, now it is delaminateing. Not just a
        > little on the edges, but BAD, and I do mean BAD...
        >
        > Yes, it was stacked and sticked in a drying facility I have had and
        > used for years without any problems.
        >
        > From now on, I'll buy European, Brazilizn, Mexican or from anywhere
        > else, But NEVER American made marine plywood...

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • cartacreations
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
          Well you would do good to buy only certified marine ply, BS 1088 I belive. There are other
          certificatiosn as well. Do some research and find the names of the overseas
          manufacturers (ie shelmarine) and then ask specifically for those brands when buying.

          Now for the "drying". I'm not clear on what you mean by that. Plywood does not need to
          by stickered and dried. It comes kiln dry and due to the cross grain of the ply glue ups
          will not move with moisture. The best way to store ply is stacked flat, sheet to sheet, just
          like you see it at the lumber yard.

          dave

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@y...> wrote:

          > I bought 25 sheets of so called marine plywood from an American plywood
          > plant. Put it up to let it air-dry, now it is delaminateing. Not just a
          > little on the edges, but BAD, and I do mean BAD...
          >
          > Yes, it was stacked and sticked in a drying facility I have had and
          > used for years without any problems.
          >
          > From now on, I'll buy European, Brazilizn, Mexican or from anywhere
          > else, But NEVER American made marine plywood...

        • David
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 22, 2005
            OK, I'm confused. Any reason you can't return the 25 sheets to the
            firm you purchased them from? Most suppliers will replace defective
            materials without an argument. Also confused by the reference to
            "drying". Did you mean you brought them into the space where they'll
            be used or machined - in order to acclimatize them? That is something
            we frequently do, with lumber, plywood, or even with MDF,
            particleboard & melamine. FWIW, the two primary Lloyds spec's for
            marine ply are BS1088 & BS6566. They're very similar, with 6566
            allowing slightly lesser quality, but not junk by any means. You might
            also consider sign-grade MDO.

            Cheers,
            David Graybeal
            Portland, OR.

            "Moderation in all things, especially moderation" - anon.

            *******************

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "cartacreations"
            <cartacreations@y...> wrote:

            > Well you would do good to buy only certified marine ply, BS 1088 I
            belive. There are other certificatiosn as well. Do some research and
            find the names of the overseas manufacturers (ie shelmarine) and then
            ask specifically for those brands when buying.

            > Now for the "drying". I'm not clear on what you mean by that.
            Plywood does not need to by stickered and dried. It comes kiln dry
            and due to the cross grain of the ply glue ups will not move with
            moisture. The best way to store ply is stacked flat, sheet to sheet,
            just like you see it at the lumber yard.

            > dave
            >
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "JJ Johnson" <jjoftheusa@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > I bought 25 sheets of so called marine plywood from an American
            plywood plant. Put it up to let it air-dry, now it is delaminateing.
            Not just a little on the edges, but BAD, and I do mean BAD...

            > > Yes, it was stacked and sticked in a drying facility I have had
            and used for years without any problems.

            > > From now on, I'll buy European, Brazilizn, Mexican or from
            anywhere else, But NEVER American made marine plywood...