Re: Bagaduce update

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>
      wrote:

      > Ron,
      >
      > I can't even get marine ply without driving three hours one way to
      the valley. >
      > Dirtsailor
      >
      >The sad part is I'm only about 70 miles from a good source of marine
      plywood but only want to consider it as a last resosrt. Part of the
      fun of this kind of building is the mill work involved. A 100 year
      old engine ought to reside in a traditionally built boat. I've got
      tons of Basswood which I can plank with but it's volumetric change
      with moisture is almost 5 timed that of cedar. On a boat which will
      be in and out of the water that alone makes me shy away from it. Rot
      resistance is way down the list of concerns but cedar is apparently
      among the most stable of woods over a range of moisture.
      Ron

    • adharvey2
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
        Thanks, Ron, for the activity - I quess nobody had anything to say.
        I know what you mean about materials - I have to save up for a trip to
        Seattle (8 hours) once or twice a year to get whatever I need. I doubt
        they have white cedar at Edensaw.
        I hope soon there will be enough people on this site with Atkin
        projects going that it will warrant having a special place in files or
        photos section for in progress boats. Should be inspiring. Maybe by
        then I'll have Elon Jessup setup.
        Andrew Harvey