Re: [AtkinBoats] Bagaduce update

  • DirtSailor
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
      Ron,

      I live over on the left coast, well actually in the middle of Oregon. Even though the building industry here is booming, quality lumber is no where to be found. In fact the only cedar one can get and actually pick thru is the cedar that is being used for fascia and belly boards on all the million dollar homes going up around me. All other cedar is special order. I can't even get marine ply without driving three hours one way to the valley. So I feel your frustrations. Good luck and if you can post some pictures of your progress.

      Dirtsailor

    • Ron Carter
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>
        wrote:

        > Ron,
        >
        > I can't even get marine ply without driving three hours one way to
        the valley. >
        > Dirtsailor
        >
        >The sad part is I'm only about 70 miles from a good source of marine
        plywood but only want to consider it as a last resosrt. Part of the
        fun of this kind of building is the mill work involved. A 100 year
        old engine ought to reside in a traditionally built boat. I've got
        tons of Basswood which I can plank with but it's volumetric change
        with moisture is almost 5 timed that of cedar. On a boat which will
        be in and out of the water that alone makes me shy away from it. Rot
        resistance is way down the list of concerns but cedar is apparently
        among the most stable of woods over a range of moisture.
        Ron

      • adharvey2
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
          Thanks, Ron, for the activity - I quess nobody had anything to say.
          I know what you mean about materials - I have to save up for a trip to
          Seattle (8 hours) once or twice a year to get whatever I need. I doubt
          they have white cedar at Edensaw.
          I hope soon there will be enough people on this site with Atkin
          projects going that it will warrant having a special place in files or
          photos section for in progress boats. Should be inspiring. Maybe by
          then I'll have Elon Jessup setup.
          Andrew Harvey