Bagaduce update

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
      Mostly tired of not seeing anything posted here. Molds are all built
      and set up on the building table. In the final day of scarfing the
      longitudinals as there is no long hardwood locally (within 150 miles)
      that is worth hauling home for boat building. Framing with Ash bought
      from a wood floor manufacturer. Will be set up to plank within the
      week. Major problem is the total lack of White Cedar of any variety,
      Northern or Atlantic, in lower Michigan. Probably will be a long
      pause while we go to the Upper Peninsula and buy some Cedar cants to
      be resawn into planking. Western Red in long lengths is supposedly
      available at the high end lumber yards but the grade is arguable and
      they are all special order so one can't "pick the pile" for good
      planking. Would be great to be on either the left or right coast for
      access to good boat building materials. Enough for now.
      Ron
    • DirtSailor
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
        Ron,

        I live over on the left coast, well actually in the middle of Oregon. Even though the building industry here is booming, quality lumber is no where to be found. In fact the only cedar one can get and actually pick thru is the cedar that is being used for fascia and belly boards on all the million dollar homes going up around me. All other cedar is special order. I can't even get marine ply without driving three hours one way to the valley. So I feel your frustrations. Good luck and if you can post some pictures of your progress.

        Dirtsailor

      • Ron Carter
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 20, 2005
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, DirtSailor <dirtsailor2003@y...>
          wrote:

          > Ron,
          >
          > I can't even get marine ply without driving three hours one way to
          the valley. >
          > Dirtsailor
          >
          >The sad part is I'm only about 70 miles from a good source of marine
          plywood but only want to consider it as a last resosrt. Part of the
          fun of this kind of building is the mill work involved. A 100 year
          old engine ought to reside in a traditionally built boat. I've got
          tons of Basswood which I can plank with but it's volumetric change
          with moisture is almost 5 timed that of cedar. On a boat which will
          be in and out of the water that alone makes me shy away from it. Rot
          resistance is way down the list of concerns but cedar is apparently
          among the most stable of woods over a range of moisture.
          Ron

        • adharvey2
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 21, 2005
            Thanks, Ron, for the activity - I quess nobody had anything to say.
            I know what you mean about materials - I have to save up for a trip to
            Seattle (8 hours) once or twice a year to get whatever I need. I doubt
            they have white cedar at Edensaw.
            I hope soon there will be enough people on this site with Atkin
            projects going that it will warrant having a special place in files or
            photos section for in progress boats. Should be inspiring. Maybe by
            then I'll have Elon Jessup setup.
            Andrew Harvey