Confused about onions

  • waltbald
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 3, 2005
      Richard Alan Smith, in his article about his Wild Onion describes his
      boat thus.

      "I decided to put the simpler Marconi rig of Wild Oats on the flat
      bottom Red Onion and name her Minka after the Japanese folk houses I
      had studied for years. (Years later, John included Minka in his book
      Practical Small Boat Designs, calling her Wild Onion which amused him.)"

      So Minka is a Red Onion hull with a Wild Oats rig. But the Wild Onion
      in the plans on the website appears to me to have no Red Onion in it
      at all. It looks to me to be identical to Wild Oats except for the
      sheer, the elliptical deadlights, and the profile of the cockpit coaming.

      Have I missed something?

      best regards,

      Walter Owens