Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Bagaduce

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2005
      The first message from a newcomer to the group (welcome Ron!) won't be
      posted until one of the moderators has checked it to make sure you're a
      real boat nut, not a spammer. After the first message is approved the
      moderator will set the right switches so further messages go straight to
      the group without intervention.

      Are you the fellow who wanted to buy plans for Sue? Too bad her drawings
      can't be found, but I think Bagaduce is a nicer boat anyway. What's the
      old engine you're going to put into your Bagaduce? I'm getting a small
      pile of old engines myself. The oldest is a 1911 jump-spark Gray 2-stroke
      of about 3 hp.

      Good luck with your project! Be sure to keep us up to date on it -- and
      take lots of pictures! <g>

      On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:43:01 -0700, Ron Carter <carter@...> wrote:

      > Sorry for the double post. I'll get used to the protocall of this
      > group after a couple of try's
      > Ron

      After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-
      known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
    • Ron Carter
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 28, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@b...> wrote:

        > Are you the fellow who wanted to buy plans for Sue? What's the
        > old engine you're going to put into your Bagaduce?

        Yes. I was looking for something a bit longer, with room for a bigger
        propeller, but after starting the setup in my crowded shop Bagaduce
        will be a lot easier to work around. The engine is a Detroit-Auto
        Marine single cylinder 2 stroke. The tag is gone so ageing it is a
        bit of a guess but almost certainly before 1914. It is pre carburetor
        and drip oiled cylinder which is the basis for that opinion. 3 1/2"
        measured stroke and probably a 3" bore estimated as there is no reason
        to disassemble it at this time. Runs real nice, Michigan Wheel
        recommended a 14" prop which goes with the rule of thumb that it match
        the flywheel in diameter. Will send pictures as we get something
        besides a pile of molds to look at.
        Ron
      • cartacreations
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2005
          John, any of those old engines your getting a Palmer Baby Husky or equivilent?

          I've got the Victor Slocum plans and would love to build her around a true old marine
          inboard as per Atkins specs.

          By the way, thanks for the booth at PT and the new catalog, its a real improvment.

          dave

          Message 4 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
            I don't know how this one slipped by me, I just noticed it when I went
            looking for a recent email I'd accidentally marked as "read"...

            No, I don't have a Baby Husky (BH), but I do have a Palmer PW-27. It's a
            bit smaller and lighter than a BH, has 27 cu. in. to the BH's 25 and puts
            out 8 hp. at a screaming 2,800 rpm, compared to the BH's 6 hp. at 2,500
            rpm. The earliest mention I've seen of a PW-27 in the Atkin plans is about
            1952, but I'm sure they're older, and they made them until the early
            1970s. A PW-27 would be a good engine for a Victor Slocum and they seem to
            be easier to find than BHs. The also use Wisconsin internal parts (PW
            stands for Palmer Wisconsin) that are relatively easy to find. But I won't
            sell you mine. <g>

            On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:55:45 -0700, Dave wrote:

            > John, any of those old engines your getting a Palmer Baby Husky or
            > equivilent?
            >
            > I've got the Victor Slocum plans and would love to build her around a
            > true old marine
            > inboard as per Atkins specs.
            >
            > By the way, thanks for the booth at PT and the new catalog, its a real
            > improvment.

            No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
            himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
            the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
            better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>