Re: [AtkinBoats] Jebb - solid Wood or Ply

  • John B. Trussell
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
      Although flat bottomed, cross planked skiffs are easy to build, they are
      not, in my opinion, suitable for "dry" sailing or life on a trailer. They
      dry out, leak while they are in the water, and tend to get nail sick from
      vibration if they are towed any distance.

      Atkin drew a number of plywood skiffs to include Emma which is very similiar
      to Jebb, though 2 feet longer.

      You could build Jebb entirely out of plywood. To maintain a trditional
      look, you could make the sides two planks, lapstrake. The only caution I
      would offer is that plywood is a limp material and it needs more framing
      than traditional cross plank bottoms. An alternative might be to plank the
      bottom so the grain of the ply runs cross wise and double the bottom.

      Have fun.

      John T
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
        Tubman, I'm looking at the same issue with atkins Maud & Emmiline, similar to Jebb but a
        bit larger. I got to see a M&E at the Port Townesd Boat Festival this year that was planked
        with ply, sides and bottom. The builder ran cross braces over the bottom under the
        thwarts to add ridgidity to the ply.

        I'm considering going with ply for my sides, but clinch nailing them and using Sika to seal
        the laps. I want a solid wood bottom but don't want the issues of having caulked athwart
        ship planks. So I may instead layup the bottom out of longitudinal planks of cedar as on
        a dory bottom and epoxy them together (using rabbbeted edges along each plank to
        increase holding surface). If the planks are numerous and narrow, movement should not
        be much of an issue (cedar doesn't move as much as many other woods). I'm still
        gathering opinions on this idea however.

        Harry Bryan had a 2 part article in Wooden Boat a while back where he built his skiff
        "Daisy". In it he shows how he lays up a 2 layer cross planked bottom out of solid wood
        but epoxied together for life on a trailer or out of the water. Could be anoter option. You
        may want to order that back copies from WB.

        dave