Re: Jebb - solid Wood or Ply

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
      Tubman,
      I'm having the same discussion with myself regarding Bagaduce. I
      really want the traditional construction but the boat will be a
      trailer queen and I'm concerned about how much leakage a cross planked
      hull will exhibit. I'm curious to hear input from this group,
      Ron
    • John B. Trussell
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
        Although flat bottomed, cross planked skiffs are easy to build, they are
        not, in my opinion, suitable for "dry" sailing or life on a trailer. They
        dry out, leak while they are in the water, and tend to get nail sick from
        vibration if they are towed any distance.

        Atkin drew a number of plywood skiffs to include Emma which is very similiar
        to Jebb, though 2 feet longer.

        You could build Jebb entirely out of plywood. To maintain a trditional
        look, you could make the sides two planks, lapstrake. The only caution I
        would offer is that plywood is a limp material and it needs more framing
        than traditional cross plank bottoms. An alternative might be to plank the
        bottom so the grain of the ply runs cross wise and double the bottom.

        Have fun.

        John T
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 28, 2005
          Tubman, I'm looking at the same issue with atkins Maud & Emmiline, similar to Jebb but a
          bit larger. I got to see a M&E at the Port Townesd Boat Festival this year that was planked
          with ply, sides and bottom. The builder ran cross braces over the bottom under the
          thwarts to add ridgidity to the ply.

          I'm considering going with ply for my sides, but clinch nailing them and using Sika to seal
          the laps. I want a solid wood bottom but don't want the issues of having caulked athwart
          ship planks. So I may instead layup the bottom out of longitudinal planks of cedar as on
          a dory bottom and epoxy them together (using rabbbeted edges along each plank to
          increase holding surface). If the planks are numerous and narrow, movement should not
          be much of an issue (cedar doesn't move as much as many other woods). I'm still
          gathering opinions on this idea however.

          Harry Bryan had a 2 part article in Wooden Boat a while back where he built his skiff
          "Daisy". In it he shows how he lays up a 2 layer cross planked bottom out of solid wood
          but epoxied together for life on a trailer or out of the water. Could be anoter option. You
          may want to order that back copies from WB.

          dave