Re: Bagaduce

  • Ron Carter
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 27, 2005
      Sorry for the double post. I'll get used to the protocall of this
      group after a couple of try's
      Ron
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 27, 2005
        The first message from a newcomer to the group (welcome Ron!) won't be
        posted until one of the moderators has checked it to make sure you're a
        real boat nut, not a spammer. After the first message is approved the
        moderator will set the right switches so further messages go straight to
        the group without intervention.

        Are you the fellow who wanted to buy plans for Sue? Too bad her drawings
        can't be found, but I think Bagaduce is a nicer boat anyway. What's the
        old engine you're going to put into your Bagaduce? I'm getting a small
        pile of old engines myself. The oldest is a 1911 jump-spark Gray 2-stroke
        of about 3 hp.

        Good luck with your project! Be sure to keep us up to date on it -- and
        take lots of pictures! <g>

        On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 14:43:01 -0700, Ron Carter <carter@...> wrote:

        > Sorry for the double post. I'll get used to the protocall of this
        > group after a couple of try's
        > Ron

        After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-
        known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>
      • Ron Carter
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 28, 2005
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "John Kohnen" <jkohnen@b...> wrote:

          > Are you the fellow who wanted to buy plans for Sue? What's the
          > old engine you're going to put into your Bagaduce?

          Yes. I was looking for something a bit longer, with room for a bigger
          propeller, but after starting the setup in my crowded shop Bagaduce
          will be a lot easier to work around. The engine is a Detroit-Auto
          Marine single cylinder 2 stroke. The tag is gone so ageing it is a
          bit of a guess but almost certainly before 1914. It is pre carburetor
          and drip oiled cylinder which is the basis for that opinion. 3 1/2"
          measured stroke and probably a 3" bore estimated as there is no reason
          to disassemble it at this time. Runs real nice, Michigan Wheel
          recommended a 14" prop which goes with the rule of thumb that it match
          the flywheel in diameter. Will send pictures as we get something
          besides a pile of molds to look at.
          Ron
        • cartacreations
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 28, 2005
            John, any of those old engines your getting a Palmer Baby Husky or equivilent?

            I've got the Victor Slocum plans and would love to build her around a true old marine
            inboard as per Atkins specs.

            By the way, thanks for the booth at PT and the new catalog, its a real improvment.

            dave

            Message 5 of 6 , Dec 23, 2005
              I don't know how this one slipped by me, I just noticed it when I went
              looking for a recent email I'd accidentally marked as "read"...

              No, I don't have a Baby Husky (BH), but I do have a Palmer PW-27. It's a
              bit smaller and lighter than a BH, has 27 cu. in. to the BH's 25 and puts
              out 8 hp. at a screaming 2,800 rpm, compared to the BH's 6 hp. at 2,500
              rpm. The earliest mention I've seen of a PW-27 in the Atkin plans is about
              1952, but I'm sure they're older, and they made them until the early
              1970s. A PW-27 would be a good engine for a Victor Slocum and they seem to
              be easier to find than BHs. The also use Wisconsin internal parts (PW
              stands for Palmer Wisconsin) that are relatively easy to find. But I won't
              sell you mine. <g>

              On Fri, 28 Oct 2005 10:55:45 -0700, Dave wrote:

              > John, any of those old engines your getting a Palmer Baby Husky or
              > equivilent?
              >
              > I've got the Victor Slocum plans and would love to build her around a
              > true old marine
              > inboard as per Atkins specs.
              >
              > By the way, thanks for the booth at PT and the new catalog, its a real
              > improvment.

              No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get
              himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with
              the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room,
              better food, and commonly better company. <Samuel Johnson>