Re: [AtkinBoats] Digest Number 315

  • Ronald Fossum
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
      Billy Atkin is VERY specific in his "don't alter the design" statements. The
      McGowan design is so FAR from Atkin's tunnel stern Seabright Skiff as to be
      unrecognizeable - yeah, I'll bet she handles like a "pig" and does not meet
      performance expectations!

      Atkin's tunnel stern Seabright Skiffs "guide" the water to the propeller
      along each side of the "box garboard" and the "inverted V" from aft of
      amidships is very carefully proportioned enhance this flow. Early on in
      these designs, Atkin is careful to point out that he discarded the "square"
      tunnel in favor of one with "angled sides" and that this improved
      performance.

      I, also, intend to build a Rescue Minor within the next year. To that end I
      very carefully examined his Seabright Skiffs with the tunnel stern. The
      proportions and dimensions follow a very specific pattern. Dave Gerr, a
      marine architect and author of some note designed a tunnel stern Seabright
      Skiff hull for a client within the past few years and it performed well.

      As Willaim Atkin says about Nanuk III: "Build her as she is and you will
      have an excellent craft; change her and look for disappointment."

      Ron Fossum

      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
        Strange words to hear from you, Ron. Have you finally seen the light? ;o)

        On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:33:54 -0700, Ronald Fossum <artemis@...> wrote:

        > Billy Atkin is VERY specific in his "don't alter the design" statements.
        > As Willaim Atkin says about Nanuk III: "Build her as she is and you will
        > have an excellent craft; change her and look for disappointment."

        After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-
        known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>