Re: [AtkinBoats] Digest Number 315

  • herb stone
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 23, 2005
      thank you
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: Rob Rohde-Szudy
      To: AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 12:52 PM
      Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Digest Number 315

      Robb White built one - a hybrid of Rescue Minor and Little Water. I'm planning to build a Rescue Minor in a couple years. Check out his stuff on robbwhite.com and in Messing About in Boats. There's also some questions he answered for me in this forum. Sounds like these things work as advertised as long as you keep the weight within Atkin's boundaries.
      --Rob

      AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      There is 1 message in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. performance of 'Nanuk III'
      From: "bibeystone"

      Message: 1
      Date: Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:41:22 -0000
      From: "bibeystone"
      Subject: performance of 'Nanuk III'

      I've been interested in Wm. Atkins' tunnel-stern designs for several
      years. I've cruised the shallow So. FL and Bahama waters in keel
      sailboats in the past and dream of the navigational and anchoring
      freedom a boat like 'Nanuk III' would provide, BUT, I've never been
      able to hear any first-hand testimony from one who has run one of
      these boats. A negative reference to performance of seabright skiffs
      in an article; http://www.mcgowanmarinedesign.com/sulis.html and the
      apparent inability of a production 42' tunnel-stern cruiser, (copy of
      this design), to attain it's projected perfomance, makes me want to
      hear from an owner or two of this model before building one. If you
      can point me in the right direction or have first hand knowledge, I'd
      appeciate hearing from you.

      <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

      Home building design Commercial building design Home building design plan

    • Ronald Fossum
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
        Billy Atkin is VERY specific in his "don't alter the design" statements. The
        McGowan design is so FAR from Atkin's tunnel stern Seabright Skiff as to be
        unrecognizeable - yeah, I'll bet she handles like a "pig" and does not meet
        performance expectations!

        Atkin's tunnel stern Seabright Skiffs "guide" the water to the propeller
        along each side of the "box garboard" and the "inverted V" from aft of
        amidships is very carefully proportioned enhance this flow. Early on in
        these designs, Atkin is careful to point out that he discarded the "square"
        tunnel in favor of one with "angled sides" and that this improved
        performance.

        I, also, intend to build a Rescue Minor within the next year. To that end I
        very carefully examined his Seabright Skiffs with the tunnel stern. The
        proportions and dimensions follow a very specific pattern. Dave Gerr, a
        marine architect and author of some note designed a tunnel stern Seabright
        Skiff hull for a client within the past few years and it performed well.

        As Willaim Atkin says about Nanuk III: "Build her as she is and you will
        have an excellent craft; change her and look for disappointment."

        Ron Fossum

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2005
          Strange words to hear from you, Ron. Have you finally seen the light? ;o)

          On Thu, 27 Oct 2005 13:33:54 -0700, Ronald Fossum <artemis@...> wrote:

          > Billy Atkin is VERY specific in his "don't alter the design" statements.
          > As Willaim Atkin says about Nanuk III: "Build her as she is and you will
          > have an excellent craft; change her and look for disappointment."

          After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-
          known quotations. <H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare>