Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Seabright Skiff performance

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
      Good advice, those old-fashioned utilities are nice. Billy Atkin wrote of
      Utility, "This Utility has always been one of my favorite boats; she is a
      particularly well-behaved child." He usually based new designs for amateur
      builders on older designs from which successful boats had been built. But
      Sallie Hyde and the other Seabright skiffs aren't necessarily flighty
      lightweights with little capacity. Sallie Hyde will probably be livelier in
      rough water, but drier than Ketewemoke, and at least as seaworthy. As far as
      capacity goes, how much do you need? <g> Look at this photo:

      http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/SallieHyde/SallieHyde-01.jpg

      They're both good boats. I won't try to convince anyone one way or another.
      <g>

      Oregon surf "dories" are dories in name only nowadays. They traded
      seaworthiness for speed back in the '60s and are just big flat-bottom skiffs
      now. The wide bottom means that the boat has a lot of initial stability, but
      it also means that it wants to conform to the face of any wave that comes
      along. That's what your friend is afraid of, the high initial stability
      means that the boat will very quickly tilt to conform to a sea coming from
      the beam, and it could pitch him overboard! Dories have narrow bottoms and
      little initial stability, they give a bit with the waves before the flaring
      sides go to work, making them a much safer ride when things get bad.

      On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 03:01:26 -0000, Ron wrote:

      > Andrew - build the ketewomoke.. I have the plans for the pennant. The
      > ketewomoke, pennant, and utility are all basically the same boat with
      > minor differences, particularly in sheer. These are some of the old
      > time everyday hard useage low power utilitarian type craft that where
      > solid as a rock and performed beautifully day in, day out and in rough
      > water. But they died out and no one builds them anymore, due to one
      > reason, they are too slow. No one wants a boat with a top speed of less
      > then 40 m.p.h. Times are changing though, and with the high cost of
      > fuel, plus the baby boomers are getting older and no longer wants to
      > ride around in a circle at 40 m.p.h. and when the water is a little
      > rough, which is most of the time, being banged from wave top to wave
      > top,and feeling exhausted at the end of the day.
      > You will have all kinds of xtra room in the ketewomoke compared to the
      > sally hyde, and I would be willing to bet that 2 large men could
      > literally sit on the rails of the ketewomoke with out felling like the
      > boat is going to roll over.Bottom line this is going to be a very
      > solid,smooth and sure boat with lots of room and comfort, and able to
      > handle rougher water then it should be out in.
      >
      > I like the sally hyde as well, and wish that a couple years back I had
      > built it instead of the dory that I did build. But the sally hyde is a
      > skiff, and maybe the ultimate skiff at that. If you was using it in
      > shallow water for fishing and constantly dragging it out onto the bank,
      > then it would be great, but I don't think it will compare to the
      > ketewomoke in carrying capacity, stability, smooth ride, roominess, and
      > rough water ride, as well as straight tracking.
      > No tipsy deal here.That can be
      > important if you are using it for trolling, and 2 big guys are leaning
      > over the rail dragging in a fish. In comparison, a friend from oregon
      > that has a 24 foot pacific dory,and uses it to troll for tuna, told me
      > he wears a inflatable life jacket, he says when leaning over the side
      > in pulling in a tuna, you have to be carefull if a wave hits the boat
      > it will flip you out.Ain't that neat. That is due to the flat bottom
      > and steeped sloped sides, common in the dory family.

      When I think of the number of disagreeable people that I know have gone
      to a better world, I am sure hell won't be so bad at all. <Mark Twain>