Atkin tunnel stern by Hadden Boat

  • ronschwiesow
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 11, 2005
      Picking up on a thread started with message #700 on 11Jun05, I am very
      impressed with a fuel consumption figure of 15 nm/gal at 15 kt (if my
      arithmetic is right) for the Atkin River Belle design built as "Noble
      Cab" by Alex Hadden. Can other boats approach this?

      The ad by Hadden Boat Company in Messing About in Boats mentions a 34'
      Atkin tunnel stern currently under construction and shows a profile of
      a sedan cruiser that to my eye is much prettier than River Belle. Also,
      being slightly smaller, the boat displayed is closer to what I need,
      and it may have slightly better fuel economy. I cannot find the profile
      in Hadden's ad in the Atkin boat catalog. Can anybody help me with
      identifying the design? Are plans available?

      Ron
    • Sal's Dad
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
        Ron,

        The ad in MAIB is an old one, Bob Hicks rotates them. Alex built just one
        "River Belle", but modified the Atkin design for the house (streamlined,
        and shortened, IIRC), accommodations, and engine placement (raised and
        centered). Mechanicals electronics, and amenities are far more complex
        than those envisioned by Atkin.

        She performed remarkably well in trials, and as far as I know is in service
        on the Piscataqua River.

        Plans were from Atkin, and I doubt Alex developed detailed plans for the
        modifications. Clearly he did a sketch of the profile, so maybe he has
        something on file. You could ask him, I think his number's in the ad.

        I don't know the time/cost involved, but did observe the construction over a
        few years. I suspect 5,000 or more hours, by a team of very talented pros.

        Sal's Dad (aka Curtis)

        > Message: 1
        > Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:56:19 -0000
        > From: "ronschwiesow" <nanron62@...>
        > Subject: Atkin tunnel stern by Hadden Boat
        >
        > Picking up on a thread started with message #700 on 11Jun05, I am very
        > impressed with a fuel consumption figure of 15 nm/gal at 15 kt (if my
        > arithmetic is right) for the Atkin River Belle design built as "Noble
        > Cab" by Alex Hadden. Can other boats approach this?
        >
        > The ad by Hadden Boat Company in Messing About in Boats mentions a 34'
        > Atkin tunnel stern currently under construction and shows a profile of
        > a sedan cruiser that to my eye is much prettier than River Belle. Also,
        > being slightly smaller, the boat displayed is closer to what I need,
        > and it may have slightly better fuel economy. I cannot find the profile
        > in Hadden's ad in the Atkin boat catalog. Can anybody help me with
        > identifying the design? Are plans available?
        >
        > Ron

      • ronschwiesow
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 12, 2005
          Curtis,

          Thanks for the additional information. Your estimate on building effort
          helps keep me realistic on planning a Sea Bright project. I'll
          start with a model, and keep it simple. I see now why the profile in
          the ad isn't in the catalog.

          Ron

          "Sal's Dad" <sals_dad@b...> wrote:
          >....Alex built just one "River Belle", but modified the Atkin design
          > for the house (streamlined, and shortened, IIRC), accommodations,
          > and engine placement (raised and centered). Mechanicals, electronics,
          > and amenities are far more complex than those envisioned by Atkin....
        • robrohdeszudy
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 13, 2005
            I'm inclined to quote two smart people here. Phil Bolger said that
            your boat should be small enough to take with you or big enough to
            live aboard. Otherwise the costs will eat you alive. And Jim Michalak
            said that the smaller boat will always get used more.

            Food for thought.

            --Rob

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "ronschwiesow" <nanron62@m...>

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 14, 2005
              The Hadden boat is a much more complicated design than River Belle and isn't
              in the catalog. Mrs. Atkin says, "The boat cost a fortune and took Alex
              forever to build. The client has great taste and the boat is delightful, but
              not a 'home boat builder' design."

              Alex followed the design adding lots of modern equipment!!!
              On Tue, 11 Oct 2005 14:56:19 -0000, Ron wrote:
              > The ad by Hadden Boat Company in Messing About in Boats mentions a 34'
              > Atkin tunnel stern currently under construction and shows a profile of
              > a sedan cruiser that to my eye is much prettier than River Belle. Also,
              > being slightly smaller, the boat displayed is closer to what I need,
              > and it may have slightly better fuel economy. I cannot find the profile
              > in Hadden's ad in the Atkin boat catalog. Can anybody help me with
              > identifying the design? Are plans available?

              The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
              be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
              <Elizabeth Taylor>