Re: [AtkinBoats] Re: Seabright Skiff performance

  • awctod@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 7, 2005
      I haven't spent a lot of time looking at powerboats of late. I did however
      grow up on Long Island where the Verity family of Freeport built many skiffs of
      similar design dating back to the Prohibition. They were used in the ocean a
      great deal and were very good sea boats. one of the advantages to the box keel
      was the straighter (flatter) ) shaft angle that it allowed. These boats had no
      hook in their bottom and could really scoot along with moderate power. The
      box keel also provided about the same protection as a tunnel. A cost savings was
      also seen because they had only an outside packing gland. No shaft log or
      strut was put on the older boats to my knowledge.
      My dad remembers running the inlets and an occasional bump was not uncommon,
      they just added power on the next incoming wave and off they went. Many of
      these vessels were used commercially in the netting business as the power was
      forward and the sterns were open. Gill netters could carry quite a load in
      theses boats. A company in Freeport named Grover built a small 28' version in glass
      for many years. I have seen a few of these vessels that were quite large. The
      Mary from Greenport, NY was a rum runner and I bet she was 36' x 10.'
      Part of the advantage of this design may come from the box itself as a
      planning surface. Many of today's "go fast" boats have a planning "pad" on the
      bottom aft. I believe that if testing were done on identical hulls in a towing tank
      at planning speeds that the resistance of the box keel would be less. If not
      I am quite sure it would plane with less power or at slightly slower speeds.
      Good Luck
      Tod

      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 14, 2005
        Good advice, those old-fashioned utilities are nice. Billy Atkin wrote of
        Utility, "This Utility has always been one of my favorite boats; she is a
        particularly well-behaved child." He usually based new designs for amateur
        builders on older designs from which successful boats had been built. But
        Sallie Hyde and the other Seabright skiffs aren't necessarily flighty
        lightweights with little capacity. Sallie Hyde will probably be livelier in
        rough water, but drier than Ketewemoke, and at least as seaworthy. As far as
        capacity goes, how much do you need? <g> Look at this photo:

        http://www.boat-links.com/Atkinco/Photos/SallieHyde/SallieHyde-01.jpg

        They're both good boats. I won't try to convince anyone one way or another.
        <g>

        Oregon surf "dories" are dories in name only nowadays. They traded
        seaworthiness for speed back in the '60s and are just big flat-bottom skiffs
        now. The wide bottom means that the boat has a lot of initial stability, but
        it also means that it wants to conform to the face of any wave that comes
        along. That's what your friend is afraid of, the high initial stability
        means that the boat will very quickly tilt to conform to a sea coming from
        the beam, and it could pitch him overboard! Dories have narrow bottoms and
        little initial stability, they give a bit with the waves before the flaring
        sides go to work, making them a much safer ride when things get bad.

        On Wed, 05 Oct 2005 03:01:26 -0000, Ron wrote:

        > Andrew - build the ketewomoke.. I have the plans for the pennant. The
        > ketewomoke, pennant, and utility are all basically the same boat with
        > minor differences, particularly in sheer. These are some of the old
        > time everyday hard useage low power utilitarian type craft that where
        > solid as a rock and performed beautifully day in, day out and in rough
        > water. But they died out and no one builds them anymore, due to one
        > reason, they are too slow. No one wants a boat with a top speed of less
        > then 40 m.p.h. Times are changing though, and with the high cost of
        > fuel, plus the baby boomers are getting older and no longer wants to
        > ride around in a circle at 40 m.p.h. and when the water is a little
        > rough, which is most of the time, being banged from wave top to wave
        > top,and feeling exhausted at the end of the day.
        > You will have all kinds of xtra room in the ketewomoke compared to the
        > sally hyde, and I would be willing to bet that 2 large men could
        > literally sit on the rails of the ketewomoke with out felling like the
        > boat is going to roll over.Bottom line this is going to be a very
        > solid,smooth and sure boat with lots of room and comfort, and able to
        > handle rougher water then it should be out in.
        >
        > I like the sally hyde as well, and wish that a couple years back I had
        > built it instead of the dory that I did build. But the sally hyde is a
        > skiff, and maybe the ultimate skiff at that. If you was using it in
        > shallow water for fishing and constantly dragging it out onto the bank,
        > then it would be great, but I don't think it will compare to the
        > ketewomoke in carrying capacity, stability, smooth ride, roominess, and
        > rough water ride, as well as straight tracking.
        > No tipsy deal here.That can be
        > important if you are using it for trolling, and 2 big guys are leaning
        > over the rail dragging in a fish. In comparison, a friend from oregon
        > that has a 24 foot pacific dory,and uses it to troll for tuna, told me
        > he wears a inflatable life jacket, he says when leaning over the side
        > in pulling in a tuna, you have to be carefull if a wave hits the boat
        > it will flip you out.Ain't that neat. That is due to the flat bottom
        > and steeped sloped sides, common in the dory family.

        When I think of the number of disagreeable people that I know have gone
        to a better world, I am sure hell won't be so bad at all. <Mark Twain>