Lady of the Lake

  • surbahars
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 11, 2004
      I am interested in a design like Lady of the Lake, but I am not
      sure. Since the plans are NOT written for plywood I am not sure. I
      want a boat for America's rivers, but I wonder if Lady is really
      ONLY suitable for the mildest of rivers. Plus, it is 9' 6" wide,
      which means it can't be trailered. This makes its mission pretty
      limited. Or does it? I could modify the plans to make the boat 8'
      6", and to use plywood instead of planking. And I would have to find
      a modern motor for it to work. It sure would be a fun boat... but
      with all that work...
    • Chuck Leinweber

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 12, 2004
          Building Lady of the Lake with plywood planking shouldn't be a problem.
          She's designed for thwartship bottom planking with no frames, so I'd put the
          plywood on crosswise too (the bottom is just less than 8' wide), maybe
          adding a few cross frames on the bottom to boot.

          A 28' by 8'6" houseboat is a LOT of boat to be trailering, you wouldn't do
          it often, for sure. I don't think it'd be worth lopping a foot off the width
          just so you can trailer without a permit.

          On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 03:56:22 -0000, surbahars wrote:
          > I am interested in a design like Lady of the Lake, but I am not
          > sure. Since the plans are NOT written for plywood I am not sure. I
          > want a boat for America's rivers, but I wonder if Lady is really
          > ONLY suitable for the mildest of rivers. Plus, it is 9' 6" wide,
          > which means it can't be trailered. This makes its mission pretty
          > limited. Or does it? I could modify the plans to make the boat 8'
          > 6", and to use plywood instead of planking. And I would have to find
          > a modern motor for it to work. It sure would be a fun boat... but
          > with all that work...

          Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless
          they meet two conditions:
          1. He is a Greek
          2. He is a Fisherman <Roy Blount Jr.>
        • Eugene Dixon
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 11, 2008
            Would like coments or sugestions' Have plans on hand. Original was
            cross planked bottom with side frames added after building.
            Would like to use sawn frames and MDO ply.
            Questions are scantling size? Will be using doug fir and so.
            yellow pine'