Re: Air starter

  • robrohdeszudy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2005
      > I was going to make that air starter by jacklegging up some junk.
      > I have seen a lot of air started marine and industrial engines.
      Air
      > starters work much better than electric starters and are very
      common
      > on things like petroeum barge pumps where electicity is taboo.
      > Barge starters have a little hand pump that you can use to pump up
      > the reservoir in case it leaked the air that the engine driven
      > compressor put in there. Five vigorous minutes at the pump will
      > (sometimes) start an old, rusty, worn out 6-71 Detroit that has
      been
      > sitting out on the barge for 25 years. They have a world of torque
      > and make a yowl that is very gratifying to the ears.

      Makes sense. Much easier to pump a tank up than to charge u pa
      battery. My guess on the motor was all wrong. I figured the
      compressor had valves so it could work as a starter - kind of like a
      pneumatic equivalent of the starter/generator old motors had. 'Course
      I didn't really think through the valving requirements too hard.
      Might be overly complicated.

      > Air starters have a regular torque-activated Bendix like Ford
      > instead of solenoid activated like Bosch. I was going to adapt an
      > air motor like on an impact wrench to a an automotive
      starter/Bendix
      > with the right pitch to the pinion teeth to fit the Kubota ring
      > gear. I'll do it eventually.

      I like it.

      > As for writing it up. You know I will. I don't think it is
      > exactly "WoodenBoat" style stuff so it'll be in MAIB.

      I really must get around to subscribing.

      --Rob