Plans for Happy Clam

  • adharvey2
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 28, 2005
      Several weeks ago I purchased study plans for Sallie Hyde as part of
      my ongoing quest to find the perfect large lake skiff. It turns out
      that Sallie Hyde was built for Lake Superior - you can't get much
      bigger than that. The plans confirmed my suspicion that Sally Hyde is
      very similar to Happy Clam, photos of which appear on this site,
      except that Sallie Hyde is carvel planked and Happy Clam is lapstrake.
      I don't see why a person couldn't build Sallie Hyde like Happy Clam,
      using lapstrake plywood topsides and sheet plywood for the bottom and
      box deadwood.
      Then a couple of weeks ago my friend in Seatle with the marine
      diesel shop called and said that he couldn't find a deal on a 60 - 90
      hp engine suitable in Sand Dollar (which I had also been
      contemplating, albeit a very different boat), but he did have a spare
      ISM 4 cylinder diesel off a genset - 40hp @ 2100 rpm, 135 ci.,
      525lbs. Perfect for the "high speed" version of Sallie Hyde. It must
      be a sign!
      I'm wondering if and where plans are available for Happy Clam.
      They're not ammong the plans listed on the Atkins' plans site. They
      would probably be a help if I were to attempt this.
    • Cooper & Price
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 30, 2005
        I have the Happy Clam plans from a magazine. They small but complete - If
        you want a zerox let me know.

        Jon Cassino

        This email has been scanned by Norton Anti-Virus prior to being sent to you.
        > Several weeks ago I purchased study plans for Sallie Hyde as part of
        > my ongoing quest to find the perfect large lake skiff. It turns out
        > that Sallie Hyde was built for Lake Superior - you can't get much
        > bigger than that. The plans confirmed my suspicion that Sally Hyde is
        > very similar to Happy Clam, photos of which appear on this site,
        > except that Sallie Hyde is carvel planked and Happy Clam is lapstrake.
        > I don't see why a person couldn't build Sallie Hyde like Happy Clam,
        > using lapstrake plywood topsides and sheet plywood for the bottom and
        > box deadwood.
        > Then a couple of weeks ago my friend in Seatle with the marine
        > diesel shop called and said that he couldn't find a deal on a 60 - 90
        > hp engine suitable in Sand Dollar (which I had also been
        > contemplating, albeit a very different boat), but he did have a spare
        > ISM 4 cylinder diesel off a genset - 40hp @ 2100 rpm, 135 ci.,
        > 525lbs. Perfect for the "high speed" version of Sallie Hyde. It must
        > be a sign!
        > I'm wondering if and where plans are available for Happy Clam.
        > They're not ammong the plans listed on the Atkins' plans site. They
        > would probably be a help if I were to attempt this.

        > polite.

        > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 30, 2005
          I would try a nice email to Mrs Atkin to see if full
          size plans are available, sometimes there are plans
          available that are not in the catalog (ie the stern
          wheeler Levee Belle). I know the plans have been
          published at least twice. Once in Mechanix Illustrated

          1951
          http://www.countryplans.com/vintage_farm//boats/HappyClamSkiff.pdf

          They were also publish in the 1952 Fawcett Twenty Boat
          Series

          It is a good looking boat with great hull speed from a
          small motor
          Lon

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/6mbrlB/TM

          > No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public
          > mopery. Please be polite.
          >
          > If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not
          > modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do
          > so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no
          > responsibility for the performance of the resulting
          > boat.

          > <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • DirtSailor
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 31, 2005
            Lon,

            Thanks for posting the article. I always get a kick
            out the material list, and costs!

            Dirtsailor

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs