lever activated belt tension

  • oldbingey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 27, 2005
      Rob,

      I forgot to answer your question about activating the belt drive
      transmission with a lever. My son and I did that on a little
      Kubota 4hp flashing arrow signboard engine we put into a small
      sailboat. It worked fine but we had two grip-notch vee belts that
      did not reqire as much tension as this polyvee job. The default
      mode was spring tension on the belts which was defeated by pushing
      on the lever and then further pushing pressed the reverse discs
      together (copied that from Troy Bilt rototillers).

      The tension on this polyvee is very high and I was scared of all
      that overhang load on the crankshaft of the engine... hence the
      tensioner outboard of the sheave. I did indeed use a lever (foot
      pedal) to get neutral and reverse but used the air spring so that I
      could restore tension to exactly where I had it and adjust it with
      the little regulator (which I never had to do once it was set).
      It worked real well. I had a little valve with which I released the
      air to the air spring and that took enough tension off the belt so
      that the boat barely crept forward... a push on the foot pedal
      either stopped it altogether or reversed it. Belt and disc wear was
      insignificant for two years operation. I could have done the whole
      thing with the lever but it would have required a good bit of force
      to the lever to either apply or defeat the tension and I don't think
      the tension adjustment would have been as exact because of the
      movement of the engine... have to be a spring in there somewhere.
      As it was, just a flick of the valve was all it took to do what I
      wanted most of the time and then just a light pat on the pedal would
      reverse the propeller if I needed to (which I never did). You know
      old men have to watch out for their dignity... can't be wrassling
      with no lever in public. Besides, I have a great, big air horn and
      some of these meandering yahoos need to be introduced to the fact
      that there is a one whistle side in some way that is completely
      unambiguous.

      Good luck with those tornados.

      Robb
    • robrohdeszudy
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 9, 2005
        Hey Robb,

        I hope all is well in your neck of the woods after all this hurricane
        business. Let me know if I can help.

        Can you tell me where you got a Kubota engine for the price you got it?
        I can't find anything under $3500! I'm assuming it was the D722E?

        Thanks yet again,

        Rob in not-so-windy Wisconsin
      • oldbingey
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 13, 2005
          Rob,

          Yeah, we are alright down here. Actually Dennis was much worse than
          Katrina in this section but we are still waiting our turn.

          That engine was the D722E (called D722N then). Kubota is funny. They
          have regional distributors who won't do business outside their
          territory. Another man was inquiring into one and asked me to check
          my distributor in NC and my price was higher than his in Fla. I
          can't remember what it was but this was about three years ago and
          maybe some $2,200 for the cheapest one. He finally searched around on
          the internet and found some for less than $1500 so he bought two. It
          was some surplus thing but the engines were identical to mine.

          I think you just have to scratch around. The main thing is that a
          basic engine is much cheaper than a marinized one.

          Good luck,

          Robb

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "robrohdeszudy"

          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 14, 2005
            Hey Robb,

            Sure am glad to know you're OK.

            I kinda figured it was one of those corporate territory BS things.
            But I'll definitely scratch around for a surplus or used one. Maybe
            even just get a tractor to keep the engine and sell the parts.
            Another possibility is a water-cooled Kohler gas engine, but so far
            they seem to be as expensive as the diesel. But the weight is awesome
            at only 114 lbs.

            We'll see what I dig up, and thanks for the insight.

            Oh, I'm not sure if you saw the previous post, but I couldn't figure
            out what you used for an air purge valve. Does that need a valve to
            fill and another to purge, or do they make a valve that does both at
            the same time? I suppose it's the same as what they use on air
            shocks? Pardon my pneumatic ignorance!

            Thanks,
            --Rob