Air starter

  • oldbingey
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 27, 2005
      Rob,

      I was going to make that air starter by jacklegging up some junk.
      I have seen a lot of air started marine and industrial engines. Air
      starters work much better than electric starters and are very common
      on things like petroeum barge pumps where electicity is taboo.
      Barge starters have a little hand pump that you can use to pump up
      the reservoir in case it leaked the air that the engine driven
      compressor put in there. Five vigorous minutes at the pump will
      (sometimes) start an old, rusty, worn out 6-71 Detroit that has been
      sitting out on the barge for 25 years. They have a world of torque
      and make a yowl that is very gratifying to the ears.

      Air starters have a regular torque-activated Bendix like Ford
      instead of solenoid activated like Bosch. I was going to adapt an
      air motor like on an impact wrench to a an automotive starter/Bendix
      with the right pitch to the pinion teeth to fit the Kubota ring
      gear. I'll do it eventually.

      As for writing it up. You know I will. I don't think it is
      exactly "WoodenBoat" style stuff so it'll be in MAIB.

      Good luck,

      Robb
    • robrohdeszudy
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 29, 2005
        > I was going to make that air starter by jacklegging up some junk.
        > I have seen a lot of air started marine and industrial engines.
        Air
        > starters work much better than electric starters and are very
        common
        > on things like petroeum barge pumps where electicity is taboo.
        > Barge starters have a little hand pump that you can use to pump up
        > the reservoir in case it leaked the air that the engine driven
        > compressor put in there. Five vigorous minutes at the pump will
        > (sometimes) start an old, rusty, worn out 6-71 Detroit that has
        been
        > sitting out on the barge for 25 years. They have a world of torque
        > and make a yowl that is very gratifying to the ears.

        Makes sense. Much easier to pump a tank up than to charge u pa
        battery. My guess on the motor was all wrong. I figured the
        compressor had valves so it could work as a starter - kind of like a
        pneumatic equivalent of the starter/generator old motors had. 'Course
        I didn't really think through the valving requirements too hard.
        Might be overly complicated.

        > Air starters have a regular torque-activated Bendix like Ford
        > instead of solenoid activated like Bosch. I was going to adapt an
        > air motor like on an impact wrench to a an automotive
        starter/Bendix
        > with the right pitch to the pinion teeth to fit the Kubota ring
        > gear. I'll do it eventually.

        I like it.

        > As for writing it up. You know I will. I don't think it is
        > exactly "WoodenBoat" style stuff so it'll be in MAIB.

        I really must get around to subscribing.

        --Rob