Re: [AtkinBoats] Digest Number 295

  • Rob Rohde-Szudy
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2005
      Hey there,

      Many thanks for the info AND the implicit compliment!

      I think you're really onto something with this transmission. You should write an article for WoodenBoat. Or maybe the most entertaining book ever on boatbuilding (and its many tangents in real life).

      >I also like that Normand stern on Shoals Runner. I don't know which would be the better boat
      >but I assume that there is a progression and Shoals Runner was designed later. I don't know
      >anything about chine style boats so I can't comment about the difference in the chine angle of
      >the two boats.

      My Bolger Light Schooner really gets thrown around by waves an wakes. It has a typical flatiron skiff cross section. The buoyancy of that chine down low and outboard lifts up on top of an approaching wave very efficiently. Dorys do this less, as the chine is further inboard. I expect the Shoals Runner would do this less than a flatiron, since that chine isn't all the way "down and out" for the whole length. But I would expect it to react more to waves and wakes than Rescue Minor. My guess is that the Shoals Runner is designed for higher speed - more of a runabout, and Rescue Minor sacrifices a bit of speed for seakeeping and maneuverability - more of a utility. But that's a guess.

      >My boat is way lighter than the Atkin boat.

      I'm not surprised. I was guessing 1000-1200 for a stock Rescue Minor. Someone PLEASE correct me if I'm wrong, as this is only a knee-jerk guess.

      Best of luck with that hurricane. Glad we don't have those here, though we missed a tornado by a few miles last week.

      Profuse thanks and warm regards,
      --Rob