Jabberwock 26' sloop

  • brumenschenkelscott
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 24, 2005
      Greetings,

      I am wondering if anyone has any additional information on this design
      beyond what is currently being offered on the Atkin & CO. web site?
      Specificly I would like to build this design but with some
      alterations.I would like to trailer this boat and thought that a strip
      planked hull would be most suitable for this. Additionaly I would like
      to explore the possibility of a tabernacled mast , and a gaff rig. I
      am not even sure of the displacement of this design, she may be
      heavier than she looks. I have read all the warnings and trust me I
      will not proceed without a nod from Atkin &CO.I have e-mailed Atkin &
      CO. but as yet have not recieved a response. Is the company only Mrs.
      Atkin now? Has this design ever been realized? Any and all comments
      are appreciated.

      Thank you
      Scott Brumenschenkel
    • mikegt4
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 24, 2005
        Jabberwock is in the Ideal Boat Series vol. 33.

        A beautiful design in either power or sail form. I toyed with the
        idea of building one in strip or cold molded wood. As you suggested a
        gaff rig would be more "trailer friendly" than original mast which
        towers almost 35' off the deck. Displacement is a bit much to trailer.

        as designed:
        frames: 3/4" x 7/8" W.Oak, 9" on center
        planking: 3/4" W.Cedar, 12 strakes per side
        displacement: 8725 lbs.
        ballast: 1800 lbs. (apparently internal as no casting is shown)