Re: [AtkinBoats] CHOOSING OUTBOARD SKIFFS

  • Chris Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 14, 2005
      Russell: Here's the book, chapter 3
      http://www.woodenboatstore.com/prodinfo.asp?number=325-102
      I don't think you'll have a problem w/ the bottom side plank if you bed
      it well before fastening to the chine.
      Supposedly, all lifeboats in the old days were lapstrake because the
      type would swell shut the fastest once in the water after being carried
      up on deck until their use was called for. So you may not need to seal
      the laps. Good luck

      Chris

      rljssn wrote:

      >Guys,
      >
      >It sounds like the double planked bottom glued well might be my
      >ticket in a drysailed environment. Was the Yankee Tender intended for
      >this type of service? My interest is peaked and I need to check that
      >article. I let my Woodenboat magazine subscription lapse. oops.
      >
      >Just for the sake of discussion and curiosity. Suppose I double
      >plank, or cold mold, or just use plain plywood for the bottom. Now we
      >have a solid water tight bottom. The bottom side plank is the only
      >one left that gets constant water contact. Can I expect trouble with
      >this plank even if fitted and fastened well?
      >
      >John Gardner recommends soaking the plank stock with hot linseed oil
      >and turps to minimize the shrinking and swelling. Anyone try that?
      >
      >I think I can talk myself into the double planking bottom but I'm not
      >sure what to use on the plank laps. If the boat were going to be in
      >water I know the planks would swell shut. What are people using these
      >days to seal plank laps?
      >
      >I get a vacation here soon and a chance to get over to my cedar
      >supply guy. This may all be moot if he doesn't deliver the goods.
      >
      >thanks guys for all your input!
      >Russell
      >

      >No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite.
      >
      >If you set out to build an Atkin boat, please do not modify the plans. If you stray from the plans you do so at your own risk and Atkin & Co. will take no responsibility for the performance of the resulting boat.
      >
      >The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
      ><http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>
      >

      >Yahoo! Groups Links

    • rljssn

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 15, 2005
          Many skiffs are now designed with plywood bottoms. This is certainly one
          way to go, but in my opinion, plywood is a floppy, limp material and it
          needs more framing than it normally gets.

          John T