Egg. Reach Regatta

  • dgerstel2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 10 1:53 PM
      I had considered 500 yard rounds just at the waterline from a scoped
      308 caliber rifle but felt it was a mite unfair. and possibly, under
      the home security laws, a tad illegal. also, given the beauty of some
      of these large wooden sailboats, a shame to do more than slow them
      down. On one leg of the races, 90-100 yachts crossed the starting
      line, including Ticonderoga, and several other 70 foot plus yachts.
      Philip Rhodes's, Alden schooners, Hunt concordias, Sparkman and
      Stephens, all the best designers and boats from now and the past.And a
      Atkin Ingrid I believe that was a live aboard.
    • wmeparker@cinci.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 10 4:23 PM
        On a couple of occasions when the club "fleet" (an ad hoc thing)
        was "running for the slips" at the end of the day, my Florence
        Oakland "Charlene" was pacing, or outrunning, modern Catalinas and San
        Juans with the wind from 100 deg's to 160 deg's. Almost all of those
        boats had longer waterlines, and were lighter. I have become a
        believer in the gaff rig from a close reach to a run. Now, beating to
        windward, there is no contest, and it is humbling to see them pass me
        both to windward and to leeward. Of course, I just tell myself that
        is the schooner rig, all that parasite drag of lazy jacks and sail
        lacings.

        It is amusing to note that the America's Cup boats are now
        sporting "square" mainsails that use a stiff batten to hold the square
        shape at the top.

        One of my dock neighbors always says, however, that if looks were
        speed, Charlene would win every time. He is a wise man, and I have a
        kind regard for him.