Capt Orwell

  • steve
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
      John-

      I've recently seen a twenty year old (or so) catalog of plans from Capt
      Orwell (?) of Texas that includes some Atkin plans not included on the
      Atkin website. What's the story?

      Steve
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
        John Atkin drew some boats for Capt. Jim Orrell's (sp?) Texas Dory company.
        The deal was that Capt. Orrell had the rights to sell the plans, not John A.
        Capt. Orrell went out of business years ago, but Dynamite Payson bought the
        rights to sell the Texas Dory plans. I just discovered that Payson not only
        bought the plans Phil Bolger drew for Texas Dory but also at least some of
        the Atkin plans. I don't know if the Texas Dory plans are shown on Payson's
        Web page:

        http://www.instantboats.com/

        On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 20:03:36 -0000, Steve wrote:
        > John-
        >
        > I've recently seen a twenty year old (or so) catalog of plans from Capt
        > Orwell (?) of Texas that includes some Atkin plans not included on the
        > Atkin website. What's the story?

        One cat just leads to another.
        <Ernest Hemingway>
      • Mike Dolph
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 27, 2005
          I remember Capt. Orwell's plans service; I think it was from him I
          bought the FAO's v-bottom plans back in '78 or so and got "Glouster
          Gull" plans free. He did have Atkins plywood plans for sale.

          Dewolfe

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "steve" <stvdee@y...> wrote:
          > John-
          >
          > I've recently seen a twenty year old (or so) catalog of plans from
          Capt
          > Orwell (?) of Texas that includes some Atkin plans not included on
          the
          > Atkin website. What's the story?
          >
          > Steve
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 28, 2005
            Any chance those designs might come "home" and be sold here?

            Dewolfe

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 1 2:54 PM
              I think I'll call Dynamite Payson and see if we can come up with some way
              to make the Atkin Texas Dory plans more available (getting them on the
              internet, in other words), but I doubt that Mrs. Atkin would be interested
              in buying the rights from him.

              On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 01:14:22 -0000, Mike wrote:
              > Any chance those designs might come "home" and be sold here?
              >
              > Dewolfe
              >
              > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, jkohnen@b... wrote:
              > > John Atkin drew some boats for Capt. Jim Orrell's (sp?) Texas Dory
              > company.
              > > The deal was that Capt. Orrell had the rights to sell the plans,
              > not John A.
              > > Capt. Orrell went out of business years ago, but Dynamite Payson
              > bought the
              > > rights to sell the Texas Dory plans.

              Man does not live by words alone, despite the fact that he
              sometimes has to eat them. <Adlai Stevenson>