Re: Atkin Boats Port Townsend Festival?

  • dmede808
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 30 3:03 PM
      Im in the SF bay area, Menlo Park specifically, so not too far hop for me. I may combine it
      with a job prospect trip... I'm itching to move further north.

      Any chance you know Marc Bright who built the Maud & Emeline at Bates? Think he could
      be enticed to attend with said boat? I'm really interested in seeing some examples of
      Atkins skiffs or even the Visctor Slocum as these are the boats I'm looking to build.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30 6:44 PM
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30 7:14 PM
          We'll take what we can get for display boats. I'd sure like to see a Victor
          Slocum in the flesh too! <g>

          I don't know Mark Bright, but I emailed Bates and they got ahold of him.
          He's willing to show his Maud & Emeline, so it'll be next to our booth in
          September. :o)

          Maud & Emeline looks like a real nice skiff, you won't regret building her
          first for practice. She's a real useful kind of boat.

          On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:03:03 -0000, Dave wrote:
          > Any chance you know Marc Bright who built the Maud & Emeline at Bates?
          > Think he could be enticed to attend with said boat? I'm really interested
          > in seeing some examples of Atkins skiffs or even the Victor Slocum as
          > these are the boats I'm looking to build.

          It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
          <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
        • brianincorv
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30 8:25 PM
            I won't be there, but for what it's worth I think the thing to show
            would be small working boats: skiffs and such. There will be a lot
            of fancy sailboats and varnish already. Go for the market that
            wants to build a good old boat to knock around in. But if you want
            to show a larger classic as well: the Ingrid. I believe it's an
            excellent example of an Atkin cruiser: simple, pure and functional.
            Just my two cents worth.

            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
              cool, maud & emeline will be there. it will be a great help to see one already put together
              and get some detail pics. hopefully i'll have her lofted by then at least, but it depends on
              home much longer my fiddlehead takes.

              looking forward to the show, and the atkin booth in particular!

              dave