Re: [AtkinBoats] Atkin Boats Port Townsend Festival?

  • Bruce Dillahunty
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 29, 2005
      jkohnen@... wrote:
      > If they'll have us, and I think they will, Atkin & Co, is going to have a
      > booth at this year's Port Townsend Wooden Boat Festival. Mrs. Atkin is going
      > to come out, and it should be fun. Are any Atkin boats going to be there? If
      > anyone has a small Atkin boat they'd like to exhibit at the Festival, let me
      > know. We may want an Atkin boat or two near the booth. If so we'll pay the
      > entry fee for the boat(s). The Festival is September 8-11.
      >
      > http://www.woodenboat.org/festival/Tickets.htm

      I'm sure this is a great show, and I wish I could be there, but... (you
      knew that was coming, didn't you :-)).

      I wish shows like this would put the location more prominently on their
      web pages... It took me a good while to find the town, no matter the
      state :-).

      I know that the majority of the audience is probably local, but its
      amazing how many big-name conferences I've had to search over much of
      their literature to find where the conference is?

      Am I the only one with this problem?

      Anyway, good luck with the booth... send pictures!

      Bruce
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
        I guess they thought _everybody_ knows where Port Townsend is -- I guess it
        must look like I do too. <g> Sorry. PT is in Washington, on the northeast
        corner of the Olympic Peninsula.

        Port Townsend was discovered by a bunch of hippy wooden boatbuilders in the
        early 1970s, it was a town that got left behind when the railroads came to
        Everett and Tacoma and the custom house moved away. It was full of neat
        Victorian buildings (there was no economy to drive "urban renewal") and rent
        was cheap. A perfect place for a bunch of eccentric artisans to begin
        reviving the craft of wooden boatbuilding. The East Coast had Maine, we had
        PT. The PT Wooden Boat Festival is the grandaddy of all the wooden boat
        festivals, I believe the first one was in 1976. Although PT has been
        discovered by folks with lots of money now and is getting pretty yuppified
        -- most of the boatbuilders can't afford to live there anymore -- the boat
        festival is still quite an event, the most important one on the West Coast,
        and perhaps in the whole country. It'll be an interesting experience having
        a booth there... Here are some photos from Festivals past:

        http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2000/

        http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2001/

        http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/

        http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2004/

        On Wed, 29 Jun 2005 22:30:01 -0400, Bruce wrote:

        > I'm sure this is a great show, and I wish I could be there, but... (you
        > knew that was coming, didn't you :-)).
        >
        > I wish shows like this would put the location more prominently on their
        > web pages... It took me a good while to find the town, no matter the
        > state :-).
        >
        > I know that the majority of the audience is probably local, but its
        > amazing how many big-name conferences I've had to search over much of
        > their literature to find where the conference is?
        >
        > Am I the only one with this problem?

        A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
        <William Burroughs>
      • dmede808
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
          hmm, I replied to this yesterday but it never got posted. just as well since I mistakenly
          assumed this was about the WBF on the east coast. I think I may actually be able to attend
          this one! Cool. Please keep us posted on the Atkin booth. I would love to see some
          examples in person. And maybe next year, if you do it again, I'll even have one to show : )

          dave

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
            What examples of Atkin _plans_ would people like to see in person? We're
            thinking of having a bunch of photos and some lines and sailplan/arrangement
            drawings hanging on the walls of the booth.

            Where do you live Dave? I guess I'll see you at the Festival! :o)

            On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:11:54 -0000, Dave wrote:
            > Please keep us posted on the Atkin booth. I would love to see some
            > examples in person. And maybe next year, if you do it again, I'll even
            have one to show : )

            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, jkohnen@b... wrote:
            > >
            > > http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2000/
            > >
            > > http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2001/
            > >
            > > http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2003/
            > >
            > > http://www.boat-links.com/PT/PT2004/

            Eels are said to kelter in the water when they wamble.
          • dmede808
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
              Im in the SF bay area, Menlo Park specifically, so not too far hop for me. I may combine it
              with a job prospect trip... I'm itching to move further north.

              Any chance you know Marc Bright who built the Maud & Emeline at Bates? Think he could
              be enticed to attend with said boat? I'm really interested in seeing some examples of
              Atkins skiffs or even the Visctor Slocum as these are the boats I'm looking to build.

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                  We'll take what we can get for display boats. I'd sure like to see a Victor
                  Slocum in the flesh too! <g>

                  I don't know Mark Bright, but I emailed Bates and they got ahold of him.
                  He's willing to show his Maud & Emeline, so it'll be next to our booth in
                  September. :o)

                  Maud & Emeline looks like a real nice skiff, you won't regret building her
                  first for practice. She's a real useful kind of boat.

                  On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 22:03:03 -0000, Dave wrote:
                  > Any chance you know Marc Bright who built the Maud & Emeline at Bates?
                  > Think he could be enticed to attend with said boat? I'm really interested
                  > in seeing some examples of Atkins skiffs or even the Victor Slocum as
                  > these are the boats I'm looking to build.

                  It s a damn poor mind that can think of only one way to spell a word!
                  <Attributed to Andrew Jackson>
                • brianincorv
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 30, 2005
                    I won't be there, but for what it's worth I think the thing to show
                    would be small working boats: skiffs and such. There will be a lot
                    of fancy sailboats and varnish already. Go for the market that
                    wants to build a good old boat to knock around in. But if you want
                    to show a larger classic as well: the Ingrid. I believe it's an
                    excellent example of an Atkin cruiser: simple, pure and functional.
                    Just my two cents worth.

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2005
                      cool, maud & emeline will be there. it will be a great help to see one already put together
                      and get some detail pics. hopefully i'll have her lofted by then at least, but it depends on
                      home much longer my fiddlehead takes.

                      looking forward to the show, and the atkin booth in particular!

                      dave