Re: Huskie Scow does it work?

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 22, 2004
      I don't know what design Haddon built, it looks a lot like Islamorada (not
      in the catalog at this time), but is a couple of feet too short. River
      Belle, which will be in the online catalog soon, though it's not in the
      printed price list (an error) has a similar hull, but is still a foot longer
      than the Haddon boat and has a much different house. <shrug> I've asked Mrs.
      Atkin about it. That Haddon boat sure is a beauty, if the photos of it are
      any indication!

      Of the Atkin tunnel-stern V-bottom Seabright skiffs (what a mouthful! <g>),
      only Rescue Minor and Shoals Runner were designed for plywood construction.
      They would be buildable in Aluminum, but you'd need to figure out the proper
      scantlings. In any case, it'd be wise to build a model, so you can see how
      the sheets will go together.

      If you aren't a pretty clever mechanic it's be best to stick to an already
      marinized engine, rather than trying to adapt the Datsun. It's too bad there
      aren't many small gasoline marine engines around anymore (no new ones
      <sigh>), as they're nicer to live with than a diesel, even if they do use
      more fuel.

      Keep us posted on how your project comes along.

      On Sat, 21 Feb 2004 17:23:37 -0500, Sal's Dad wrote:
      > Similar results from the 34' diesel tunnel-stern cruiser built by Alex
      > Hadden a couple years ago (I don't see this boat on the website, or in the
      > Atkins catalogue, either). Similar design to the Rescue Minor, real gold
      > plater construction and,detailing.
      >
      > Alex reports the boat performed better than "advertised", even with all
      the
      > added weight and complexity that the owner "needed". I'm afraid to ask
      > about the cost of this beauty, but it took Alex and a couple other very
      good
      > boatbuilders at least 2 years (maybe 3?), full time, to finish her.
      >
      > I, too, am interested in a very shallow draft workboat/basic
      transportation.
      > I think welded aluminum construction would be best for me, cut and fitted
      by
      > me, and welded by a pro. I have no experience with inboards, so I'm
      pretty
      > hesitant, but may have access to a 20 year old Datsun diesel engine...

      A paranoid is a man who knows a little of what's going on.
      <William Burroughs>