Re: 6mm Birch Plywood

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2005
      BTW, Paul -

      The "birch" I used wasn't any 5-ply stuff - more like sawdust for
      filler - and it STILL worked fine until I took a vacation from caring
      about my boat.

      Steve

      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
      > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
      > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
      > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
      > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
      > Paul
    • adharvey2
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
        > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
        > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
        > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
        > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
        > Paul

        Paul, if it's in 5' x 5' sheets it's Baltic Birch, which is widely
        used by cabinet shops for drawer sides and casework. True it's void
        free, but it's an interior product. I doubt they use waterproof glue.
        I'd definately test it if I were you.
        Andy
      • kurtz65
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
          Well I tried the boil test..... to say it failed would be an
          understatement! lol.... oh well... now I have 5 times as many sheets!
          They are drying out now and I may use them on another project with
          WATERPROOF GLUE!Thanks everyone for your help.
          Paul