Re: 6mm Birch Plywood

  • baycruiser54
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 25, 2005
      Paul -

      I built a Conrad Natzio skiff a few years back using 1/4" birch ply
      from Home Depot - it was billed as such, at least, and sold at
      $16.00/4X8 sheet. I was really on a budget, so I took 5 sheets of it
      and hoped for the best. Did not sheathe it with anything other than
      primer and paint.

      On the way to the bay for my first outing, I drove a bit too
      carelessly for the trailer I had, and I punched two holes in the
      bottom, clear through! (trailer was cobbled up, not the best job of
      it, either - live and learn) Covered the holes with duct tape and
      launched. Had a good day, brought the boat back, patched the holes
      with fiberglass tape and two-part epoxy, bottom lasted for two years
      with absolutely no problem until I moved, and couldn't keep my boat in
      the garage at the new house - too much of my wife's crap in the way.

      While the boat sat outside on its trailer, rainwater got in under the
      cover until the weight was too much for the fastenings, and the bottom
      parted from some of the frames, splitting the birch ply. Water got
      into the ply as it drained out of the boat, extensive delamination
      ensued.

      Point is, that's the ONLY reason I have to do repairs now. IMHO, the
      cheap stuff works if your boat is dry sailed, just take common-sense
      care of it (adequately cover the darn thing, and regularly check it to
      see how it's doin'). Don't think you HAVE to sheathe it with anything,
      just eyeball it after every use, and MAINTAIN it as needed.

      John Atkin had little or no use for fiberglass sheathing of plywood
      boats (see essay somewhere on the Atkin website, or in the catalog),
      and I think he had the right idea.

      Hope this little diatribe helps. Cheers,
      Steve
    • baycruiser54
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25, 2005
        BTW, Paul -

        The "birch" I used wasn't any 5-ply stuff - more like sawdust for
        filler - and it STILL worked fine until I took a vacation from caring
        about my boat.

        Steve

        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
        > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
        > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
        > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
        > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
        > Paul
      • adharvey2
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2005
          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
          > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
          > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
          > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
          > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
          > Paul

          Paul, if it's in 5' x 5' sheets it's Baltic Birch, which is widely
          used by cabinet shops for drawer sides and casework. True it's void
          free, but it's an interior product. I doubt they use waterproof glue.
          I'd definately test it if I were you.
          Andy
        • kurtz65
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2005
            Well I tried the boil test..... to say it failed would be an
            understatement! lol.... oh well... now I have 5 times as many sheets!
            They are drying out now and I may use them on another project with
            WATERPROOF GLUE!Thanks everyone for your help.
            Paul