Re: 6mm Birch Plywood

  • Wayne
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 24 7:53 PM
      --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
      > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void
      free.
      > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
      > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is
      it a
      > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated.
      Thanks
      > Paul

      What's the price? Where will you use it? The seller can't tell you
      anything about the glue used?

      In a nutshell, you need to boil a sample for hours, bake it, freeze
      it, back in boiling water straight from the freezer, bake, freeze,
      repeat. Attempt to seperate plies after boiling. Six months in the
      dishwasher following that. All of that will tell you if the glue will
      stand up in a boat. It won't tell you if the birch will resist
      rotting. Well sealed, well ventilated and dry will keep the plywood
      happy.

      Wayne
      In the Swamp.
    • baycruiser54
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 25 8:01 AM
        Paul -

        I built a Conrad Natzio skiff a few years back using 1/4" birch ply
        from Home Depot - it was billed as such, at least, and sold at
        $16.00/4X8 sheet. I was really on a budget, so I took 5 sheets of it
        and hoped for the best. Did not sheathe it with anything other than
        primer and paint.

        On the way to the bay for my first outing, I drove a bit too
        carelessly for the trailer I had, and I punched two holes in the
        bottom, clear through! (trailer was cobbled up, not the best job of
        it, either - live and learn) Covered the holes with duct tape and
        launched. Had a good day, brought the boat back, patched the holes
        with fiberglass tape and two-part epoxy, bottom lasted for two years
        with absolutely no problem until I moved, and couldn't keep my boat in
        the garage at the new house - too much of my wife's crap in the way.

        While the boat sat outside on its trailer, rainwater got in under the
        cover until the weight was too much for the fastenings, and the bottom
        parted from some of the frames, splitting the birch ply. Water got
        into the ply as it drained out of the boat, extensive delamination
        ensued.

        Point is, that's the ONLY reason I have to do repairs now. IMHO, the
        cheap stuff works if your boat is dry sailed, just take common-sense
        care of it (adequately cover the darn thing, and regularly check it to
        see how it's doin'). Don't think you HAVE to sheathe it with anything,
        just eyeball it after every use, and MAINTAIN it as needed.

        John Atkin had little or no use for fiberglass sheathing of plywood
        boats (see essay somewhere on the Atkin website, or in the catalog),
        and I think he had the right idea.

        Hope this little diatribe helps. Cheers,
        Steve
      • baycruiser54
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 25 8:04 AM
          BTW, Paul -

          The "birch" I used wasn't any 5-ply stuff - more like sawdust for
          filler - and it STILL worked fine until I took a vacation from caring
          about my boat.

          Steve

          --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
          > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
          > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
          > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
          > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
          > Paul
        • adharvey2
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27 8:23 AM
            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "kurtz65" <wilpwhit@c...> wrote:
            > I have access to 6mm Birch plywood that has 5 layers and is void free.
            > It does not have marine grading as it comes from Russia. Can anyone
            > advise me as to the tests I should prefom on it to test it, or is it a
            > bad idea all together. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Thanks
            > Paul

            Paul, if it's in 5' x 5' sheets it's Baltic Birch, which is widely
            used by cabinet shops for drawer sides and casework. True it's void
            free, but it's an interior product. I doubt they use waterproof glue.
            I'd definately test it if I were you.
            Andy
          • kurtz65
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 28 9:09 PM
              Well I tried the boil test..... to say it failed would be an
              understatement! lol.... oh well... now I have 5 times as many sheets!
              They are drying out now and I may use them on another project with
              WATERPROOF GLUE!Thanks everyone for your help.
              Paul