Re: [AtkinBoats] Huskie Scow does it work?

    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
      I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
      In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
      It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
      some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
      suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

      Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
      measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
      Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
      her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
      they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
      beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
      barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

      If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
      doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
      work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
      of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

      On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
      > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
      > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
      > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
      > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
      > tunnel)

      The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
      be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
      <Elizabeth Taylor>
    • Hugo Tyson
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
        What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

        jkohnen@... wrote:
        I surely will post the pictures after I stop and look at that derelict tug.
        In the meantime, here's one taken of her when she was hauled up on the bank.
        It doesn't show if the tunnels extend above the waterline, but gives you
        some idea of what she looks like. Given the apparent depth of her rudders, I
        suspect that the tunnels aren't above the waterline, what'd be the point?

        Carol was built by the Soule Steel Company at San Francisco in 1944, and
        measures (for tonnage, not the overall length) 43.7' by 14'. She worked for
        Florence Marine Construction for many years. In January of 2000 she sank at
        her mooring, and they didn't bother trying to resurrect her. I heard that
        they didn't even try to dry out the engines, so they're shot. Carol was no
        beauty, but the tug they got to replace her is really a dog, looks like a
        barge with a wheelhouse stuck on top. :ob

        If anyone's interested in seeing Lon's "tugboat", see above. I assume it
        doesn't have a high tunnel, like Huskie, or he wouldn't be asking if they
        work. I can testify that there's sometimes too little water at the upper end
        of Lon's slough for his tug! I've seen it with my own eyes. <g>

        On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 12:08:07 -0800 (PST), Lon wrote:
        > If you do stop and take a look could you please post
        > some pictures in a temporary file. I have been
        > looking for a shallow draft steel hull to make into a
        > live aboard. (my little steel tug has a cylindrical
        > tunnel)

        The problem with people who have no vices is that generally you can
        be pretty sure they're going to have some pretty annoying virtues.
        <Elizabeth Taylor>

        No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. The current Atkin boat plans catalog is online at
        <http://www.atkinboatplans.com/>

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

      • lon wells
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 22, 2004
          --- Hugo Tyson <hhetyson@...> wrote:
          > What is it ?? !! Lon's Tug Boat looks insanely
          > bizzarre and heavily abused to say the least!!

          Those are war scars she is a old Army soldier or maybe
          She is a working girl and they look a little rough
          sometimes. My little tug is a old Army Corps Of
          Engineers Utility Launch. Every large dam has a
          similar tug as a basic work boat and mainly gathering
          logs before they go through the dam.

          Since I traded my steel scrap dealer, scrap steel from
          my fab shop for her. I really can not argue about her
          looks. She has a 453 Detroit Diesel with a 3 blade 24
          inch prop. I use her as a work boat to move
          boathouses,dock sections, gather logs and move my pile
          driver around.

          I took one of her props into Sheffield last spring and
          they showed me their stamp on it and told me they had
          worked on that prop in 1962. So all of those dings and
          dents are from moving logs for 40 plus years.
          Lon

          "Tubby the tugboat can huff and puff
          And push and pull to move big stuff.
          That's the sound of Tubby the tug;