fifth of same breed as Ben Bow

  • Chris Kottaridis
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005
      In Atkin's descritption of Ben Bow on the website it states:

      It is only during the last few years that I have been lucky enough to
      design and have built four boats of much the same character, these being
      Fore An' Aft, Magpie, Scorpio, and Sailho. All cutter rigged, all short
      ended with a capital S, and all built under my nose, so to speak, and
      all by the same builder. So I changed each in many ways to find out what
      happened. And I found out.

      The fifth and the sixth of the same breed are now in the works; the
      former, however, will carry a yawl rig and the latter, another cutter,
      is Ben Bow, shown herewith.

      Anyone know what the "fifth" boat that will carry the yawl rig is ?
      --
      Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@...>
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2005
        --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@q...>
        wrote:
        > In Atkin's descritption of Ben Bow on the website it states:

        > It is only during the last few years that I have been lucky enough
        > design and have built four boats of much the same character, these
        being
        > Fore An' Aft, Magpie, Scorpio, and Sailho. All cutter rigged, all
        short
        > ended with a capital S, and all built under my nose, so to speak,
        and
        > all by the same builder. So I changed each in many ways to find out
        what
        > happened. And I found out.
        >
        > The fifth and the sixth of the same breed are now in the works; the
        > former, however, will carry a yawl rig and the latter, another
        cutter,
        > is Ben Bow, shown herewith.
        ---

        > Anyone know what the "fifth" boat that will carry the yawl rig is ?
        > --
        > Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@q...>

        Interesting question. I read that page earlier today and didn't
        notice the missing fifth boat. The plans catalog is not complete.
        There are only two yawls, Lady Joan (smaller) and Pam (larger) in the
        catalog. Lady Joan doesn't fit the Ben Bow profile. Pam is close, but
        larger and doesn't have the short overhangs. Perhaps John knows.

        Wayne
        In the Swamp.
      • James Greene
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 11, 2005
          I'm thinking of building a tunnel hull boat and I know that Atkin boats
          (some of them anyways) are apparently very technologically advanced in
          terms of thelr tunnel hull designs. I'm hoping to build the most
          advanced design they offer ...

          Does Rescue Minor have the most technologically advanced tunnel hull
          design?

          James Greene
        • Mike Dolph
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 11, 2005
            Don't forget Meridian!

            --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Wayne" <wtorry@v...> wrote:
            > --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@q...>
            > wrote:
            > > In Atkin's descritption of Ben Bow on the website it states:

            > > It is only during the last few years that I have been lucky
            enough
            > > design and have built four boats of much the same character,
            these
            > being
            > > Fore An' Aft, Magpie, Scorpio, and Sailho. All cutter rigged, all
            > short
            > > ended with a capital S, and all built under my nose, so to speak,
            > and
            > > all by the same builder. So I changed each in many ways to find
            out
            > what
            > > happened. And I found out.
            > >
            > > The fifth and the sixth of the same breed are now in the works;
            the
            > > former, however, will carry a yawl rig and the latter, another
            > cutter,
            > > is Ben Bow, shown herewith.
            > ---
            > >
            > > Anyone know what the "fifth" boat that will carry the yawl rig
            is ?
            > > --
            > > Chris Kottaridis <chriskot@q...>
            >
            > Interesting question. I read that page earlier today and didn't
            > notice the missing fifth boat. The plans catalog is not complete.
            > There are only two yawls, Lady Joan (smaller) and Pam (larger) in
            the
            > catalog. Lady Joan doesn't fit the Ben Bow profile. Pam is close,
            but
            > larger and doesn't have the short overhangs. Perhaps John knows.
            >
            > Wayne
            > In the Swamp.
          • Wayne
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2005
              --- In AtkinBoats@yahoogroups.com, "Mike Dolph" <jdolph@s...> wrote:

              > Don't forget Meridian!

              "All cutter rigged, all short ended with a capital S, and all built
              under my nose, so to speak, and all by the same builder."

              Thanks. I didn't search that far up the length scale. However, Pam and
              Meridian don't have the "short ended with a capital S" hull that Ben
              Bow and Fore 'N Aft share. I don't think the fifth boat made it into
              the catalog offerings.

              Not that it matters. Pam and Meridian are fine looking vessels to be
              sure.

              Wayne
              In the Swamp.