Re: [AtkinBoats] Kohnen and first time build

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
      I ought to know the designs, I wore my fingers to the bone putting the
      catalog online! <g>

      I think it must be about a decade ago that I first put my links list online.
      Boy time flies! My poor old Norton finally got so many things worn out on it
      that I got afraid to ride it several years ago. :o( But two years ago this
      coming August I bought a new Royal Enfield Bullet and I'm sure having fun
      with it. :o) It's the first big single I've owned -- it's a completely
      different experience from the big twins I was used to. The Bullet is also
      slow, but I'm an Ol' Coot now and am actually enjoying life in the slow
      lane, cruising along at 55 and enjoying the scenery.

      I think it's very wise to try a small boat first. An outboard boat will
      also be much less complicated than an inboard. You'll find that there will
      be plenty of things to do to get a boat finished without installing an
      engine, shaft and all the accouterments. Good Luck is a pretty big 13'9"
      boat and should carry a good load. She'll also be economical to run, since
      there's no point in buying a big, thirsty engine. If you're on a budget,
      there are a lot of middle-aged Johnson and Evinrude 4-horse twins around, so
      many of my friends have one I joked about starting a local club for them.
      <g> They're good engines, and cheap. I think I paid $50 for my '69, and it's
      a good runner. What you learn building Good Luck will be useful if you
      decide to build her bigger sister Easy Goer.

      On Fri, 27 May 2005 10:12:46 -0400, Jon wrote:
      > Wow John - you know your Atkin designs!

      > By the way - I've been using your links for what seems like a decade.
      > Thank you - A lot of effort and it shows. IIRC you were also in to
      > motorcycles. Given up on them?
      > I'm really trying to work a way to build a boat longer than 20 feet.
      > I believe it is best to save the Yanmar for a second (read larger) build.
      > So - I'm down to outboard or sail or both. I like the design Goodluck.
      A bit small on paper but she looks more seaworthy than some larger
      offerings.

      There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
      <Albert Schweitzer>
    • Wayne
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 2, 2005
        > I ought to know the designs, I wore my fingers to the bone putting the
        > catalog online! <g>
        >
        > I think it must be about a decade ago that I first put my links list
        online.

        John,

        It is not said often enough. Thank you! For the Atkin's PLans and your
        Links Encylopedia. Thanks to you I discovered the Caledonia yawl. A
        fine example of which resides in my garage now.

        We are all indebted to you for your efforts.

        Cheers!

        Wayne
        An Old Coot In the Swamp.